Math

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Shaki

Re: Math

Post by Shaki » July 10th, 2013, 11:30 pm

chili wrote:I agree with LuX.

You can make a lot of different types of games with only simple arithmetic and number theory. That said, the types games that most people want to make end up needing math above gradeschool level, usually for physics, for graphics, or for geometry. You can find a lot of readymade algorithms and even code online, but without a grasp of the fundamentals behind it you will be hard pressed to make it work for you.

P.S. You made tutorials LuX? Link plz. :D
I was under the assumption that this was about Highschool maths. I mean, that's basic and everyone learned it right? =/.

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » July 11th, 2013, 5:59 am

basic would be addition, subtract, divide and multiply (plus anything else taught during elem/middle school :P, not considering the fact japan goes higher during middle? xP)
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

Tristan

Post by Tristan » July 11th, 2013, 6:42 am

Shaki wrote:I was under the assumption that this was about Highschool maths. I mean, that's basic and everyone learned it right? =/.
It depends on which math courses you take. In my school, we have three different classes for different levels of math.
One focuses on practical math you use in every day life (such as finance and gambling probability (Math A)).
The next one up focuses on standard algebraic concepts like functions, geometry, sequences and series and some calculus (Math B).
Then the highest one (Math C) focuses on more college algebra and calculus like motion, vectors, complex numbers and planes, group and number theory etc, matrices, linear algebra and all that good stuff.

What I've found is that with making games, using the stuff taught in math C is the most useful stuff. It's mostly for only certain specific cases that it's useful, but I still don't know where I would be without it.

LuX

Post by LuX » July 12th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Here all get about the same math education. In high school you can choose "long" or "short" math, both teach about the same stuff but "long" math goes more advanced in the topics. I find that pretty smart.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

viruskiller

Post by viruskiller » July 12th, 2013, 7:58 pm

tbh i took a peak into some 3d tutorials, and it seems 3d doesn't work the way i tought it to be , what i tought of beeing a 3d game engine seems like is the job of direct x, and the job of the game engine is just to handle the changes in the scene,ther's some math, but is mostly matrices to translate the objects, what i find hard is that u have to declare and define lots of parameters before gettin even a simple shape like a triangle on the screen.
i guess is the job of the game engine to have all those shapes already declared and later on we just fill simple parameters like scale, pos, rotation.
i never had problems understanding geometry, what it bugged me in highschool was the algebra , mostly on the booring part like logarithms , certain type of functions and matrices.
i tough only good understanding of 3d gemoetry would do for 3d graphics, but it sems the booring stuff is needed to do 3d inside a computer:/
so yeah mah seems quite important if u want to do good computer graphics.

LuX

Post by LuX » July 12th, 2013, 8:03 pm

DirectX is just a way to talk to different video cards, like a common language so to say. An engine would be what comes around 3D. Engines have different ways of creating and opening map files for example, but the basic 3D rendering is about the same if it's a DirectX program.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ