Need a good C++ Programmer

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
S_Dass

Need a good C++ Programmer

Post by S_Dass » July 31st, 2012, 11:43 pm

RayCast Wk1.zip
(156.26 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Hi Guys, my friend sent me a program to do with Ray Casting, There is a function in the program called void view::RayCast that needs implementing, the function has copious amounts of comments for guidenice and has separted the function into 5 key steps. There is a .exe file in the RayCast folder to show what the outcome should look like.

If there is anyone out there who is capable of completing this function it would mean a lot to me!! :)

Thanks guys

S_Dass

Re: Need a good C++ Programmer

Post by S_Dass » August 2nd, 2012, 11:38 am

Has anyone had any luck by any chance?

Asimov

Post by Asimov » August 2nd, 2012, 11:59 am

Hi S_Dass,

I have used raycasting in Unity. It is an invisible line come out of your object or character that when tripped runs a command. Very often you can use it to open doors before you get to them, or to detect if anything is in front of you.

Well I run your code and it complained about not finding #include <d3dX9.h> and so I commented this out and it run.

Finally after I run the code a window comes up just filled in with red. It is hard to know how to work out the problem if you don't know what the problem is.

Perhaps you should contact the guy who made this engine. I am guessing it is a 3D engine or you wouldn't need raycasting.

Also I just found out that the red is supposed have textures which for some reason are not loading, hence the red screen LOL.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

S_Dass

Post by S_Dass » August 2nd, 2012, 12:07 pm

i know why you get that error its beacuse you need to include the sdk library in the solution properties. I recomend downloading the june 2010 sdk. once this is done go onto project properties (or RayCast properties after selecting the project tab on the toolbar) once a menu appears click on configuration properties drop down menu and click on the C/C++ drop down menu, after that click on general and there will be a menu of options, one called AdditionalIncludeDirectories. Click on this and browse for the sdk folder downloaded and that will get rid of #include <d3dX9.h> error

Sam

S_Dass

Post by S_Dass » August 2nd, 2012, 12:26 pm

when you run the program the program is just filled with red, this is becuase the ray casting function is not impletmented. if you look in the RayCast folder there is an .exe file which shows what the outcome should look like when the function is implemented. I have attached a file that compares both screen shots before and after

Sam
Attachments
RayCast(outcome).png
Comparrison of what the outcome should like after the RayCast function is implemented
(60.72 KiB) Downloaded 211 times

Asimov

Post by Asimov » August 2nd, 2012, 12:45 pm

Hi S_Dass,

Yes I understand now.

Strange because raycasting is usually for collision detection, so there must be something else not functioning as well then.
Will have a look later, but can't promise anything.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

S_Dass

Post by S_Dass » August 2nd, 2012, 12:52 pm

ok well if you read all the comments in the void view::RayCast Function that tell you what needs to be done

S_Dass

BobCrunch

Post by BobCrunch » August 3rd, 2012, 2:36 am

Since this code uses DirectX, you must include d3dX9.h and set up the paths in the project properties. Since the Chili Framework also uses DirectX, you should already know how to do that. The code is quite complex so it will take a little time to figure out RayCast. The code loads all the .bmp files as textures (as far as I can tell), but the provided .exe file doesn't seem to display them. This makes me think that all the code will need debugging in addition to figuring out the RayCast procedure. I've done some DirectX coding and raytracing, but I'm not an expert so it will take some time to figure out. I also have other stuff to do.

npissoawsome

Post by npissoawsome » August 3rd, 2012, 4:17 am

S_Dass wrote:ok well if you read all the comments in the void view::RayCast Function that tell you what needs to be done

S_Dass
d3dx9.h is like DirectX's debug, if you build in release mode, it won't find the d3dx9 lib

S_Dass

Post by S_Dass » August 3rd, 2012, 10:46 am

Hi BobCrunch yes you are right about the program loading the bitmaps however the program i have attached doesnt load them the textures, i have attached the program that does it however the code for displaying and loading the bitmaps needs implementing as well as the main RayCast Function
Attachments
RayCast Wk 2.zip
(150.83 KiB) Downloaded 155 times