Problem with Git

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
johnrod

Problem with Git

Post by johnrod » July 26th, 2020, 3:55 pm

So im a begginer and i just ended tutorial 20 ( fart annoyed) if im not mistaken....the problem im dealing is something with the git. I created a new branch out of master so i can play and improve the game but somewhere on the way i couldn't save my changes...what did i fucked up? Is it possible to still save my work so far?
(sry about my english :/ )
Thanks!

albinopapa

Re: Problem with Git

Post by albinopapa » July 26th, 2020, 5:47 pm

What do you mean you couldn't save changes?
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

johnrod

Post by johnrod » July 26th, 2020, 6:09 pm

If i add or change something in my code, the git does not let me commit my changes for some reason.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » July 26th, 2020, 9:12 pm

Did you supply a commit message?
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » July 26th, 2020, 9:15 pm

If you try going back to the original branch, do you get an error that there are uncommitted changes?

When VS makes dealing with Git a challenge, I end up using a 3rd party git interface. I personally like TortoiseGit, but you could also use GitGUI that comes with git when you download it. I don't remember which one chili uses, but I think he says which in one of his videos...though good luck find it.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » July 27th, 2020, 4:27 pm

GitKraken :]
Chili

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » July 27th, 2020, 9:01 pm

^^^Yeah, that.

Slidy

Post by Slidy » July 28th, 2020, 2:34 am

GitHub Desktop master race

johnrod

Post by johnrod » July 28th, 2020, 3:29 pm

I went back to the original branch and i created a new branch (which i can finaly commit my changes) but in that one, some source (.cpp) files are messed up!
With compiler errors like : 'nbricksdown': undeclared identifier
which im pretty sure i idetified in the header file.

I dont know if my mistake was when i pressed right-click into the master's branch and then "new local branch from..." ,
maybe this have to do with these errors?

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » July 28th, 2020, 6:13 pm

I wouldn't think so, that's what I do when I create branches. It bases the new branch on the code from the branch you right clicked on.