My first game!

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
WilsonHuang

My first game!

Post by WilsonHuang » February 6th, 2020, 2:00 am

Thanks Chili's tutorial. Here's my first game ever made, Tetris. I can't believe I finish it by myself! :D :D
My next project will be Puyo Puyo. I hope I have perseverance to finish it!
https://mega.nz/file/FQNSVYDa#fQBEi3RPM ... J0pCvydXNU

How To Control
==============
Move: Arrow Keys
Rotate Right: Up Key, X
Rotate Left: Z
Hard Drop: Space Bar
Pause: Enter
Last edited by WilsonHuang on April 20th, 2020, 6:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

chili
Site Admin

Re: My first game!

Post by chili » February 8th, 2020, 7:25 am

Cool stuff man. Got some nice polish on this one. Sound effects sound like they are from Tetris 99 :D
The animation for clearing is nice too. I think the input on the left/right movement is a little sluggish. Rotation is fine, but fast dropping maybe a little to fast. Also, how are you generating the sequences of tetronimos? There are rules for proper generation that you might not be aware of. A little more of an advance preview window would be nice as well.

I look forward to seeing what you do with puyo. It's a more interesting game than tetris imo. Very hard to learn how to effectively set up those chains.
Chili

WilsonHuang

Post by WilsonHuang » February 8th, 2020, 3:47 pm

chili wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 7:25 am
Cool stuff man. Got some nice polish on this one. Sound effects sound like they are from Tetris 99 :D
The animation for clearing is nice too. I think the input on the left/right movement is a little sluggish. Rotation is fine, but fast dropping maybe a little to fast. Also, how are you generating the sequences of tetronimos? There are rules for proper generation that you might not be aware of. A little more of an advance preview window would be nice as well.

I look forward to seeing what you do with puyo. It's a more interesting game than tetris imo. Very hard to learn how to effectively set up those chains.
Ahhh.. I'm so happy chili replies this thread, Anyways, for the movement I wonder how to count how many times the user presses a button? The movement is a modification version of Snake game from the tutorial. For the generating the sequences of tetromino, I just randomly pick one. Do they have proper rules? An advance preview window means more "next" pieces?
I take Sega Arcade Tetris as reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNhMmCMtRdU&t=7s so the next piece just one 8-)

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » February 9th, 2020, 7:23 am

For the inputs, you want to use an event-driven system. The keyboard/mouse already supports events, you just loop through all events every frame and process the ones you're interested in.

The rules for tetronimo is, every 14 tetronimos you will see each type twice. So generate a sequence of each type 2x and then shuffle it. It prevents situations where you never get, for example, I piece. Or where you get too many of the same piece in close succession.
Chili

WilsonHuang

Post by WilsonHuang » March 30th, 2020, 12:11 am

I found a bug. The link has been updated.

perpetual

Post by perpetual » April 4th, 2020, 12:54 pm

Great work man. I typically not a tetris player, but I played a game of it and was had a surprising amount of fun. It was probably because it's easier than traditional tetris? really good work, and it has me wanting to make a tetris clone now... lol

krautersuppe

Post by krautersuppe » April 19th, 2020, 10:48 am

Damn i hoped i would beat your scoreboard array but it was longer than i initially thought :p
tetris_wilson_huang.png
(101.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DSU
Discord: dsu1, GitHub: https://github.com/DSpUz

WilsonHuang

Post by WilsonHuang » April 20th, 2020, 6:02 am

krautersuppe wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 10:48 am
Damn i hoped i would beat your scoreboard array but it was longer than i initially thought :p
tetris_wilson_huang.png
The max score is 999999 :D :D
Last edited by WilsonHuang on April 20th, 2020, 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

WilsonHuang

Post by WilsonHuang » April 20th, 2020, 6:13 am

Oh sh*t! Thanks to krautersuppe, I found the score counting bug. The link has been updated!

WilsonHuang

Post by WilsonHuang » April 20th, 2020, 10:36 am

krautersuppe wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 10:48 am
tetris_wilson_huang.png
This is my score. You are batter than me XD
Tetris.png
(37.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet