Hello , i need help

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Alaa

Hello , i need help

Post by Alaa » June 8th, 2019, 3:30 pm

hi Chili , hi everybody,

my name is Alaa.

i'm still in lesson 7 in beginner . i didn't make the game yet. but i have a lot of question about the course.

why the course choose directx not openGl . while openGl cross-platform?

isn't using unity or other game engines much faster for development processes?

also using blender for 3d or any other software isn't much faster than do it and easier than make it with directx ?

can i take my 3d models done in directx to be like object and used it in any project even cross-platform projects ?

finally for not understand me in wrong way. all i said are just questions. i hope to know their answers. because i got confused. specially i only knew directx development and it's not just a program to run games :D just from couple days.

albinopapa

Re: Hello , i need help

Post by albinopapa » June 9th, 2019, 4:53 am

Windows is the most commonly used OS installed, so DirectX would make for the most suitable choice to teach. Models done in blender or 3DS or Maya for instance can all be used in either DirectX or OpenGL with some modifications most notably is the winding order of the vertices that make up the meshes. DirectX using a clockwise winding order while OpenGL uses a counter clockwise or anticlockwise winding order.

The courses here teach C++ to some math topics and 3D fundamentals which would be more difficult to teach and more distracting inside an engine such as the Unreal or Unity engines. Chili is hoping to give you the tools necessary that if you want to jump over to Unity or Unreal, you should be able to understand a little on how and why it works the way it does.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Alaa

Post by Alaa » June 9th, 2019, 10:43 pm

That's great :o

Thanks for explanation.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 16th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Yep, models are no problem. We'll be using assimp to load assets, and it works perfectly well under windows/linux/opengl/d3d. It even has the ability to automatically preprocess things like matrix layout / coordinate handedness etc.
Chili

Behram

Post by Behram » May 12th, 2020, 1:22 pm

Hello Alaa,
Posting late but its worth mentioning...
Unity ,Unreal Engine & Blender skills are HOT today. However if you want to stand out from people who have taken a couple of Udemy / college courses on Real time engines, then what Chili is teaching is invaluable.

There will be a time at work when 4 dudes in a corner are struggling with something technical despite being good at Blueprints etc. You'll go in there and create something bespoke or custom with all the fundamentals you learn in C++ and Direct X and you'll be the talk of the town around the office coffee machine!

So I'd say for people learning UE / Unity to get some Chili FIRST !

Cheers,
b