[Updated 2019-06-25] Revamped C++ Networking Series using Sockets

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Pindrought

[Updated 2019-06-25] Revamped C++ Networking Series using Sockets

Post by Pindrought » April 9th, 2019, 12:06 am

Last updated 2019-06-25.

My old series were bad.

New series will be better. Trying to explain everything very in depth this time and going much further in terms of practices covered.

Prenetworking Series [Total Duration: 22 minutes and 5 seconds]
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... _85qKJ6kTm

C++ TCP Winsock Series using Blocking Sockets [Total Duration: 2 hours 26 minutes and 43 seconds]
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... vsG_FCt7-U

C++ TCP Blocking Sockets Port for Linux Compatibility [Total Duration: 33 minutes and 7 seconds]
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... nDN4gaxpmg

C++ TCP Winsock Series using Nonblocking Sockets [Work in Progress]
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... _zVLmfA_Zy

C++ TCP Windows/Linux Compatible Nonblocking Sockets [Development Not Begun]
Last edited by Pindrought on June 26th, 2019, 2:17 am, edited 11 times in total.
PM me if you need to contact me. Thanks to all the helpful people on this forum especially to Chili.

cyboryxmen

Re: Revamped C++ Networking Series using Sockets

Post by cyboryxmen » April 9th, 2019, 6:30 am

Zekilk

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » April 9th, 2019, 7:16 pm

Awesome, I'm doing some socket programming for a project. Will check it out

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » April 10th, 2019, 5:21 am

Will watch this time. I used a couple of your vids as references in the past, but never just sat and watched/followed along.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » April 12th, 2019, 12:48 pm

I too will have to check out this neTWERKING goodness. I imagine it's gonna be even smoother this time around with the benefit of having planned and executed something like this once or twice before.
Chili

Pindrought

Post by Pindrought » April 12th, 2019, 7:09 pm

chili wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 12:48 pm
I too will have to check out this neTWERKING goodness. I imagine it's gonna be even smoother this time around with the benefit of having planned and executed something like this once or twice before.
Yeah i'm thinking it's going to be smooth sailing this time around. When I was doing the previous tutorials there was a lot of stuff I didn't really understand so it became a mess halfway through when I was trying to fix all the crap that I did wrong. There was also a lot of stuff that I thought I understood, but didn't. :oops:

Series 1 & 2 will be boring as it's just blocking sockets and then porting to linux.

Series 3 is where the fun/useful stuff will start with nonblocking sockets. Series 3 will assume the user watched series 1 & 2 of course since it will be building off the code and i'm not going to be covering the same info multiple times. Thinking of going with poll() instead of select() due to select() having a limit of how many file descriptors can be in a set. Poll also just seems to be cleaner.
PM me if you need to contact me. Thanks to all the helpful people on this forum especially to Chili.

Pindrought

Re: [Updated 2019-04-26] Revamped C++ Networking Series using Sockets

Post by Pindrought » April 27th, 2019, 3:51 am

Just finished series 1. Time to start working on series 2 to port to linux. Should be a short one in comparison to series 1.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » April 27th, 2019, 4:58 am

Good job man, I like the fact your capture is readable as opposed to the last one where the font was super tiny lol, thumbs up.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Pindrought

Post by Pindrought » April 29th, 2019, 4:58 pm

albinopapa wrote:
April 27th, 2019, 4:58 am
Good job man, I like the fact your capture is readable as opposed to the last one where the font was super tiny lol, thumbs up.
Thanks!

Yeah I specifically tried to make sure my font was bigger for all future tutorials after you had mentioned that. I didn't realize how small it really was at the time. Glad you had brought it up.

DEM0N194

Re: [Updated 2019-05-11] Revamped C++ Networking Series using Sockets

Post by DEM0N194 » May 17th, 2019, 3:20 am

Very cool. I'm definitely going to be checking out these series... I can already see that the quality is much better compared to the old series, which is a huge plus.