Who's up for a group challenge?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
chili
Site Admin

Re: Who's up for a group challenge?

Post by chili » March 14th, 2014, 4:01 am

Yeah, you're gonna make broken shit when you try to do things in an object oriented way for the first (or first few) times. That's how you learn. I'm glad that the experience hasn't soured you on OOP though. In the end I believe that the effort you spend in learning it will pay for itself by an order of magnitude times over.
Chili

Quelpro

Post by Quelpro » March 29th, 2014, 2:17 pm

Where can I get an updated copy of the source for this? I'd like to get involved and perhaps help get it back up and running?
I have tried the GIT server but I'm a GIT so probably me just being a 'tard ;)

cameron

Post by cameron » March 29th, 2014, 4:27 pm

Join up irc or pm me or albinopapa for details and we can catch you up. Currently it is stored on the git server, but you would have to create private and public keys with putty gen. We are close to hopefuly getting something playable soon. Also, sometimes Luis' server is off which is part of the reason why you cant access.
Computer too slow? Consider running a VM on your toaster.

Quelpro

Post by Quelpro » March 29th, 2014, 4:40 pm

Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply :)

Check your PM :ugeek:

cameron

Post by cameron » January 18th, 2015, 7:02 am

No problem we apreciate all the help we can get.
Computer too slow? Consider running a VM on your toaster.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » January 18th, 2015, 7:05 am

Sorry, was curios about the Bump Logic button at the top of the page, didn't realize it would immediately bump the thread to the top. This project has been put on hold maybe indefinitely maybe it'll get dusted off eventually and revamped, depends on how we feel, but currently have been using the past year to learn D3D and other C++ stuff.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » March 13th, 2016, 8:01 am

Ok, so as of my last post over a year ago states, cameron has apparently been working on his networking stuff, some multi-threading and memory allocation. I have been learning SSE and well not sure what Luis has been doing, I haven't been staying in touch, but he knows all this stuff anyway lol. I haven't asked if any of them is interested, but the last I heard Luis was. This has been a few months though.

Currently the game is broken, I don't have the latest version of the code and I have been updating it to include more C++ ... C++11, stuff like smart pointers such as std::unique_ptr. This allows for automatic deallocation of memory, which I did find some places that we didn't deallocate previously.

My goal with this is really to have a top down vertical space shooter. I would like to have it more action packed than it is, but for now it's the weapon system is broken and the enemies don't spawn. I am in the process of separating a lot of the code to prevent 'coupling' which means I'm trying to make it so that class don't depend too heavily on another class. For instance, I don't want to have to pass the physics system to the score or audio system or any combination of the previous in order for the score to update and the audio to play a collision sound.

If anyone has been watching chili's HUGS series, I think he has a death listener function or class. The observer/observable pattern and this is what I've been thinking about implementing. So, if anyone is interested, this project is definitely open for discussion or help with implementation. The git repo is listed in the first post of this topic. It is now hosted on github for easier 24/7 access.

Once it is running, it should have 5 different types of enemies, shapes and movement patters, and 2 types of bosses. Could definitely use some more enemy types and patters and bosses and boss behaviors. Currently, the ships are all draw using points and lines. I'm not opposed to using sprites, so that might be something that could be added.

Only one font is used, though when cameron, luis and I were working on it, we thought about adding DirectWrite support so that any installed font could be used, that can still happen, though the rendering system would need to be updated to use Direct2D as well, Since the project was put on hold, I have learned how to initialize and use D2D and DWrite, so that shouldn't be a problem, unless someone want to implement a font renderer themselves, or create sprite sheets for each type of sprite used in the game.

Anyway, if you do decide to check it out in it's current failed state, the Revision1 branch is the most current and has a few bug fixes...at least the buttons show text and work in the main menu.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » March 13th, 2016, 8:43 am

This thread seems to be the 9th most viewed topic in the forums, so there is/was some interest in it.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » May 30th, 2020, 3:46 am

Beep, Beep, Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

"My God, it's dead Jim."

Well, I can safely say that after 6 and a half years and no game, this project is officially dead and let me explain why.

First off, I take full responsibility. There were some creative differences between Cameron and myself. Instead of taking the time to listen to him and attempt to learn what he was going for, I shied away from the project. I also kept changing the structure of the project around as I learned new things which slowed the project down immensely.

I also tried working with others on various projects and in almost every case, I didn't agree with a lot of the decisions being made and left. After all that, I realize that I'm the one to blame.

I need structure and a plan. GitHub offers a really neat way of organizing tasks. These tasks can be categorized in a way that says " These are the tasks to be done", "These are the tasks being worked on", "These are the tasks under review" and "These are the tasks that have been completed and accepted"

Each person on the team can pull a task and assign it to themselves, and moving it to the "Being Worked On " group. Something like this would have made things so much easier.

I guess since I claim I don't have much of an imagination, I need all the details laid out so I can have a clear path forward and this is something that I have never found in the other team projects I've worked on.

Slidy

Post by Slidy » May 30th, 2020, 4:27 am

I recommend trying to contribute to open source projects and understanding how their contribution/management system works, it'll give you some nice experience on working on a collaborative project with others who are a lot more experienced than you.

Also when starting a project I think you can afford to be a little greedy and more dictator-y. In the end it's your project; it's fine to consider ideas from others but generally unless 1 person is calling the shots I find that productivity/organisation in the project dwindles quickly since disagreements don't get resolved easily and no one is sure if they're doing what they're meant to be.

Overall working in and managing a team is a skill like any other, so even if you consider this endeavor a failure just consider it a learning experience and try again :)