Preview of the Next Game

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
chili
Site Admin

Preview of the Next Game

Post by chili » January 23rd, 2012, 1:35 pm

Here's the next thing we're working towards (I'll probably do another long video showing the entire coding of this game in Lesson 12).
Attachments
Toe.zip
Next Game
(20.07 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
Chili

WwortelHD

Re: Preview of the Next Game

Post by WwortelHD » January 23rd, 2012, 4:57 pm

Epicc!!! in wich lesson are we going to the world of 3D? :D

Natox

Post by Natox » January 23rd, 2012, 6:01 pm

WwortelHD wrote:Epicc!!! in wich lesson are we going to the world of 3D? :D
Probably like lesson 5000 or something :lol: .
From all I know right now, it would be foolish to start 3D engine/game building because it requires so much difficult math and programming knowledge that even someone with years of C++ experience has to think HARD on doing it right.

I think you should set realistic goals and don't fool yourself.
And don't stick with chili's videos only (no offense chili) but expand your learning field..!
Buy some books, watch other tutorial videos, join more programming forums and read all of the related topics.
There are alot of different ways to acquire knowledge.

I, for instance, would be happy to be a decent basic C++ programmer within 1 - 2 years of learning. And I do put alot of time in it, let's say... atleast 10-15 hours a week.
I pretty much do everything about expanding my learning field as listed above.

And if you are really determined about becoming able to build 3D games, you should learn 1 step at the time and you WILL get there eventually. So, begin at the first step (basic understand of C++), and this means being able to write the code from scratch without having any examples laying next to your programming environment.

After that, or while you're at it for a while (a couple of months maybe), you might consider taking a peek at some 2D development tutorials, to get a basic understanding of how to apply your C++ knowledge to make simple 2D games with some pre-fixed libraries.

And then finally, when you have enough experience to be certain that you can make a start, you can start doing the same thing you did with 2D games, but then with 3D games.

P.S. This is my approach and I personally think this is the best way to do it.
Ofcourse different people may have different opinions and they should, I believe!
I'm not telling you what you must do, just trying to point you into the direction that is helping me aswell.

Cheers!
My Weblog: http://www.gamer-bay.com/
Keep track of my learning progress on the C++ programming language.

WwortelHD

Post by WwortelHD » January 23rd, 2012, 6:36 pm

Natox wrote:
WwortelHD wrote:Epicc!!! in wich lesson are we going to the world of 3D? :D
Probably like lesson 5000 or something :lol: .
From all I know right now, it would be foolish to start 3D engine/game building because it requires so much difficult math and programming knowledge that even someone with years of C++ experience has to think HARD on doing it right.

I think you should set realistic goals and don't fool yourself.
And don't stick with chili's videos only (no offense chili) but expand your learning field..!
Buy some books, watch other tutorial videos, join more programming forums and read all of the related topics.
There are alot of different ways to acquire knowledge.

I, for instance, would be happy to be a decent basic C++ programmer within 1 - 2 years of learning. And I do put alot of time in it, let's say... atleast 10-15 hours a week.
I pretty much do everything about expanding my learning field as listed above.

And if you are really determined about becoming able to build 3D games, you should learn 1 step at the time and you WILL get there eventually. So, begin at the first step (basic understand of C++), and this means being able to write the code from scratch without having any examples laying next to your programming environment.

After that, or while you're at it for a while (a couple of months maybe), you might consider taking a peek at some 2D development tutorials, to get a basic understanding of how to apply your C++ knowledge to make simple 2D games with some pre-fixed libraries.

And then finally, when you have enough experience to be certain that you can make a start, you can start doing the same thing you did with 2D games, but then with 3D games.

P.S. This is my approach and I personally think this is the best way to do it.
Ofcourse different people may have different opinions and they should, I believe!
I'm not telling you what you must do, just trying to point you into the direction that is helping me aswell.

Cheers!
Thanks! tho I watched a few other tutorials and what I've learnt from them was stuff like cout stuff and not really much more xD Gonna stick with CHILI TEH MASTAH

Natox

Post by Natox » January 23rd, 2012, 7:02 pm

The 'cout' is a handy little piece of code that prints the things you ask for into your console.
The main reason they use cout in tutorials is to show you how code works, by making a piece of code, let's say a 'while loop'. If you do not put in values, it does not work.
But how DO you know it works, when you put in values? Simply by letting it print it's results back in the console with cout.

So, once you know that, you can start testing alot of cool stuff, like loops, arrays, variables etc.
These are the things that are used in C++ console programming, but also in C++ game programming.

So those tutorials that you saw so far are actually really useful ;)

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » January 24th, 2012, 11:30 am

Listen to Natox; he knows his shit. 8-)

I made these tutorials in order to offer a different experience than the standard "Hello World!" introduction, but the console does provide a great environment to test out most of the language features.

I could go on, but I think Natox has pretty much said everything I would want to (and then some :lol:).
Chili

Natox

Post by Natox » January 24th, 2012, 12:29 pm

chili wrote:Listen to Natox; he knows his shit. 8-)

I made these tutorials in order to offer a different experience than the standard "Hello World!" introduction, but the console does provide a great environment to test out most of the language features.

I could go on, but I think Natox has pretty much said everything I would want to (and then some :lol:).
Thank you :D

drBUD

Post by drBUD » December 4th, 2012, 7:33 pm

everything else is fine but when i try to play the naughts and crosses game my pc lags like a mutherphucker, WTH?

Asimov

Post by Asimov » December 5th, 2012, 5:26 pm

Hi all,

I love programming in C++, but with 3D why re-invent the wheel when there are some very good game engines out there. Unity 3D 4 is a good way to do a 3D game. I would like to learn how to do it, but in the meantime you can use this.

Here is a small demo I did. It is sort of a gamelet than a game LOL. I am thinking of adding combustible sheep soon.

http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk/saucer/saucer.zip
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » December 5th, 2012, 8:29 pm

Asimov. I tend to agree when it comes to 3D. Seems like it's more work than it's worth, but who knows, maybe after you're able to build a streamlined 2D game engine the jump to 3D isn't so bad. Seems daunting, and somewhat unnecessary to me though.

Neat little demo. How long did it take you to get comfortable enough with unity to make that?