Lesson 8 Crap

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
chili
Site Admin

Re: Lesson 8 Crap

Post by chili » August 30th, 2012, 1:09 pm

It's on the sticky at the top of the forum bro. ;)
Chili

Nightfury2050

Post by Nightfury2050 » May 19th, 2015, 3:52 pm

I wish I had been a part of this channel since its inception. I'm crazy about games and about their design! Wonder when I will be making my first Crysis!

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » May 20th, 2015, 1:31 am

Well, let's see.
Chili is good for about ~20 lessons a year.
2012 was C
2013 was C++
2014 was Advanced math (vectors and matrices), triangles and textures,
2015 is 2D game ( Possibly cover network, input and sound api's)
2016 might be SSE, Multithreading, AI and lighting.

Just joking around, but seriously, if you want to make a crisis type game, take the time to either go to college, or learn C++ from chili and the math involved in creating 3D games, then learn the DirectX or OpenGL api whichever you are interested in. Just whatever you do, don't expect to be able to create anything that looks like crisis within a year or two, just watching the chili videos. Well, by now maybe a year or two isn't a bad projection depending on what topics he covers over that time span.

I've been working on my own 3D software engine just from the stuff I've learned form chili's videos and a few extra math stuff from various places on the interwebs while researching DirectX 11 tutorials. It's still broken at the moment, took a break from it for a few months, but when it does work, it's definitely a lot slower than D3D.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

superstar1998

Post by superstar1998 » May 20th, 2015, 12:44 pm

If you really want to make a game like crisys, you could try Unreal Engine 4, as you don't need so much coding to use it and the results come much faster, though, without going through these tutorials, it could be far harder to understand how it works.

Also, since this is only lesson 8, there are a lot of new things that you need to know so as to create your own game using Unreal for which object oriented programming (intermediate lessons) would help a lot.

So, basically, i recommend you to follow this tutorial and, after finishing it, you feel more like creating a game than creating an engine for a game, you should give unreal a try.
“Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.”

– Martin Golding

Nightfury2050

Post by Nightfury2050 » May 20th, 2015, 9:43 pm

Thanks guys. I'm already doing a course in Diploma in Game Design and Integration from MAAC, India. However, I loved maths as student. 3D was the real deal for me. And I have never tried using Game Engines before. 3-4 years back I heard that the Crytek Engine was available for free online. That was when I was in the first year of my Engineering and just started learning C. I hated programming but loved games. I was a 24*7 gamer in college days. Later I got placed in IT industry. Stayed there for 8 months and then left cause it was super boring. Now working in Amazon in a non-IT job role. But started hating this also. Looking for a job switch into gaming in the next 2 years. I hope, I will get better. Can you guys give me a heads up as to how to use these game engines? I have a shit laptop by the way. And many thanks to Chilli. With his help, now I can make a Pac-Man at least.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » May 21st, 2015, 12:25 am

I would check youtube, it seems to have everything.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

superstar1998

Post by superstar1998 » May 21st, 2015, 12:58 pm

Sorry to hear that your laptop is not so good, mine is pretty new and still has lag when i use unreal. Also, it takes up a lot of space and needs vs 2013 to run. There is another thing from unreal, i think it's called unreal tournament, where gamers, programmers and other game developers work together into creating a game. It is only in the early stages, so you can get involved without having missed too much of it. I haven't tried it yet, but after I lern some more I'll give it a try.
“Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.”

– Martin Golding

jtaim

Post by jtaim » June 2nd, 2018, 4:29 am

updated the fukbmp.cpp file if want to use.
Attachments
fukbmp.zip
updated
(611 Bytes) Downloaded 301 times

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » June 2nd, 2018, 5:58 am

Why static const

Code: Select all

static const std::wstring name = L"poo";
I still am not sure how static plays into global variables, but my understanding is it's not needed in source files because they aren't included in other files. What I'm saying is the variable 'name' will never escape the cpp file because cpp files should never be included in other files using #include so there is no way to access this variable outside the current translation unit.

Why not use the constructor?
Instead of this:

std::wofstream sprite;
	sprite.open( txtpath );
You could use the constructor to avoid more work

std::wofstream sprite( txtpath );
Nice, never think of doing this for built-in types
UINT y{} instead of UINT y = 0
I use the empty braces mostly for classes, structs and arrays, but never think about using them for the base types.

Nice job updating it to modern C++ though.

jtaim

Post by jtaim » June 2nd, 2018, 3:03 pm

Thanks for the comments :D . Attached is zip of the updated solution
Attachments
fukbmp.zip
VS2017 solution
(5.09 KiB) Downloaded 312 times