Using the Chili DirectX Framework in an Actual Game

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
MtDewdGM

Using the Chili DirectX Framework in an Actual Game

Post by MtDewdGM » January 7th, 2012, 12:31 am

Dear Chile,

Please make another video in your 'Beginner c++ Chile DirectX game programming' series.
The vids are very helpful and I did all of your homework including making the targeting reticle move to all 9 positions as well as turn red when i press the spacebar.

I want to be a game programmer and I feel that your framework has a lot of potential to make games.
It would be very helpful if you could continue on your series! :D

-Thanks in advance

chili
Site Admin

Re: Using the DirectX Framework in an Actual Game

Post by chili » January 7th, 2012, 6:51 am

Hey there MtDewd, welcome to the board!

It's good to hear that you're following along with the tutorials and doing the exercises. That's really the only way to do it if you're serious about learning how to program. The first excercises may seem rather trivial, but as we progress I will be issuing progressively more challenging assignments. If you get stuck or have any questions or ideas, feel free to use this forum.

As for the framework, I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that the framework as it is really isn't meant to be used in an actual game. The method used to draw (PutPixel) is rather slow, and this is not the way we will be drawing later on. I'm starting off with this method because it will be very useful to demonstrate the internals of computer graphics, both for 2D and 3D. The current methods provide an excellent platform to explore the C++ language and the fundamentals of computer graphics, but eventually we will discard these methods and use more efficient hardware-accelerated techniques.

The good news is that once we have learned enough of the C++ language, we will dismantle the framework and put it back together piece by piece. After learning how the guts of the framework interact with Win32 and DirectX, we will then discard it and build a new, better, stronger, faster, harder engine from the ground up that could be used in an actual game. The best part is that because we will have built this engine ourselves from the ground up, we will be able to use it more freely and fluently than any pre-made engine out there because we will know every single line of code like the backs of our hands 8-).

Don't worry about me continuing on with this series! As long as you guys keep watching, subscribing, and liking my videos, I'm going to keep making them.

P.S. Topic renamed to reflect the content of the answer better for members' reference.

P.P.S. Chile is the name of a country in South America :lol:
Chili

adabo

Re: Using the Chili DirectX Framework in an Actual Game

Post by adabo » November 2nd, 2012, 5:44 pm

@Chili - Nice reply there. Dismantle and assemble it? Dude, that would be amazing. Yeah, don't you dare quit on us xD

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » November 2nd, 2012, 6:27 pm

@Chili, echoing all other sentiments on here. Seems it isn't just me that is currently well on their way to making games all on their own thanks to you're hard work and teaching style. As much as I hope to see you continue making these videos, I hope you keep that passion for making them. It's ease to see you have put a lot of time into organizing and introducing concepts at the right time, I can't even guess all that has gone into them, but don't lose the fun and excitement.

As you continue with the intermediate and on to advanced some day hopefully, don't lose the humour and such that really set these apart from any other tutorial series. Believe it or not, you're actually making dreams come true here for a lot of people that might never have been able to see these concepts click for them, had it not been for your series. You have a gift my friend. Can't wait to see where you take us!

Asimov

Post by Asimov » November 4th, 2012, 9:17 am

Hi all,

Well my current game is working quite well on the standard Chilli framework, with a few of my own tweaks heh heh. So it will be great to see what will be achieved with an upgraded framework. I haven't upgraded my text input because I have enough keys in my game, but maybe I will on the next game. I am ploughing my way through Vray tutorials at the moment though.
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

mister345

Re: Using the DirectX Framework in an Actual Game

Post by mister345 » March 17th, 2016, 4:22 am

Dear Chili,

I'm an aspiring game programmer and totally in debt to you for your awesome tutorials.
Anyway, I just finished Intermediate Lessons 3, 4, and 5, where you explain the internals
of the framework. But I noticed in Lesson 6, you jump straight into making a game.

I thought you said you were going to build a new framework from scratch,
line by line. Please let me know if you will eventually do this in a later lesson,
because while your explanations in 3, 4, and 5 were helpful, I still don't feel
capable at all of building my own framework until I see one literally built from
a blank project, developing in front of me so I can internalize every element.

That is my ultimate goal; to become autonomous and fully able to do my own
DX game. Please let me know if there is a lesson in which you do this later on
in the series; that would be great. Thanks again for all your hard work!

Greg
chili wrote:Hey there MtDewd, welcome to the board!

It's good to hear that you're following along with the tutorials and doing the exercises. That's really the only way to do it if you're serious about learning how to program. The first excercises may seem rather trivial, but as we progress I will be issuing progressively more challenging assignments. If you get stuck or have any questions or ideas, feel free to use this forum.

As for the framework, I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that the framework as it is really isn't meant to be used in an actual game. The method used to draw (PutPixel) is rather slow, and this is not the way we will be drawing later on. I'm starting off with this method because it will be very useful to demonstrate the internals of computer graphics, both for 2D and 3D. The current methods provide an excellent platform to explore the C++ language and the fundamentals of computer graphics, but eventually we will discard these methods and use more efficient hardware-accelerated techniques.

The good news is that once we have learned enough of the C++ language, we will dismantle the framework and put it back together piece by piece. After learning how the guts of the framework interact with Win32 and DirectX, we will then discard it and build a new, better, stronger, faster, harder engine from the ground up that could be used in an actual game. The best part is that because we will have built this engine ourselves from the ground up, we will be able to use it more freely and fluently than any pre-made engine out there because we will know every single line of code like the backs of our hands 8-).

Don't worry about me continuing on with this series! As long as you guys keep watching, subscribing, and liking my videos, I'm going to keep making them.

P.S. Topic renamed to reflect the content of the answer better for members' reference.

P.P.S. Chile is the name of a country in South America :lol: