Project Twin (questions)

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
FireBrandWhip

Project Twin (questions)

Post by FireBrandWhip » March 22nd, 2023, 2:18 am

Greetings!

Just getting back into programming,... (yada yah!) But before I poop up the forums with a bunch of "beginner crap, that could be obviously answered by PLAYING AROUND WITH THE CODE" :o

Let me thank you for this graciously awesome dickchild of epic code!
I really like the layout of Project Twin, (the code is so sleek!)

1. Font object and DrawText, how can this be easiest implemented.
I used Font font; in World, and some issues, could a quick simple example be demonstrated?
(with that I can make diagnostics and menus to further my development.) Like implied politely before, I don't want to ask a zillion questions. ;)

I want to trigger something like: (this would need to be easily parsed to a loadable text_file for actionscripts)
playsound
pause seconds or float
send_animation_command to a Sprite_keyID
display a font/text(parsed with) (#pauses before displaying more text# (@@secs to "auto_carriage_return"@@)
(also be able to shake_the_screen, or darken/tint/brighten the screen)

Could this POSSIBLY be an extension BONUS tutorial/lesson? THIS WOULD BE F*CKING AWESOME!!

2. Ouch! Animation, or Character (talk) or Melee Attack animation for example, (pick an choose!)

I'm using:
Glorf (my own twisted abomination/"creation" thing...LONG STORY...I'll tell ya later, lol. :cry: )

For some reason, Chroma::Magenta doesn't work for transparency, lol. Not sure what's up with that, I hand-color-picked it with the tool in paint.
Perhaps, Magenta(especially inverted!) IS the SHITTIEST of COLORS. :lol:

Glorf::Glorf( const Vec2& pos )
:
pos( pos )
{
const auto pLegsSurface = Codex<Surface>::Retrieve(L"Images\\GlorphRun\\run00.bmp");
// walking animation //x y w h count surface hold time
animations.emplace_back(Animation(128, 0, 128, 64, 3, pLegsSurface, 0.9f));
// standing animation
animations.emplace_back(Animation(128, 0, 128, 64, 1, pLegsSurface, 10000.0f));
}

So I have a Glorph BASE, and some other accessories (GlorphFin_BARBEDWIRE for instance, or GLORPH_ATTACKTENTACLE_PHALIC_CACTUS)
How do I make a system inventory system (where I can 'bind parts' that are equipable items (or powerups)).
Let's say I want to swap out the Tentacle for a different one, or have (instead of a million attack items)...just a few types that "level up"?

Could have two (yes I'm asking for a lot here!) ProjectTwin videos on this...?
I still await the "Boss" video, to be released.

THEREFORE, WE AWAIT THESE TUTORIALS, RELEASE THEM OR THE LITTLE TEDDY BEAR DIES!!!
MWA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

FIREBRANDWHIP
"TO THE BLACK FLAME WITH THEIR HERESY! FWOOM!"

chili
Site Admin

Re: Project Twin (questions)

Post by chili » March 23rd, 2023, 12:29 pm

so the thing about project twin, i started it during intermediate and restricted myself to only using things already covered. This means overal it's actually quite jank, but the idea was to build it bad to demonstrate the badness, and then improve it to show the benefits of the new tech.

However, as time went on the changes just seemed more and more daunting. Also, I did a bunch of work offscreen with the intent of recording but never did, so somewhere there is a ton of changes that adds a shia lebeouf-riding-a-roomba boss battle, with a crazy attack pattern state machine system.

The plan was to complete the boss battle and then release a video with that as a teaser, but now the task over overhauling the codebase and recording all the videos to get caught up is just unrealistic. With the kid, the work+overtime, and the other stuff I wanna do, I'm afraid project twin is in the graveyard now :[

Maybe i'll dig around and see if i can't find the source code for you. You should head over to the discord, easier to chat over there
Chili