New member looking for advice

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Mistborn

New member looking for advice

Post by Mistborn » February 25th, 2021, 7:16 pm

Hi there

So basically I want to learn to program (games as a hobby, doubt I would ever be good enough to make it a career but hopefully I can make it as some sort of software dev.) I have been out of school for a long time and been stuck in dead end jobs but this is something that really interests me and I finally want to try and make something of myself.
Anyway I’ve done some research and asking around on Reddit and someone suggested Chilli to me and it looks so much fun, only done the first 2 tutorials so far.
Really what I wanted to ask was am I ok to start with this as a complete beginner, would you suggest something else? Or are there any books etc that would help whilst doing Chillis beginner tutorials for extra practice/help.
My end goal is probably to use an engine of some sort but my first goal is to become a good programmer and problem solver and understand how engines etc work under the hood.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

albinopapa

Re: New member looking for advice

Post by albinopapa » March 7th, 2021, 9:33 am

The great thing about Chili's tutorials are they aren't really game centric. The Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced series are all about learning how to program in C++, so a complete noob can totally start here ( I did actually ). He uses games as a way of giving visualization to what you learn. It's way better IMO than learning using the console.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com