new year, new members, new APIs

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
xropi

new year, new members, new APIs

Post by xropi » January 18th, 2021, 11:20 am

Hey Everyone!

First of all, I'm new here so I guess I should say hello.
I discovered Chili's utube channel a few months ago. It's a gem and the teaching efforts are invaluable.
He's talking about the real shit which I really appreciate.

I've created a cool little puzzle game using opengl3.3 3D graphics with my own shit-engine. Then when I wanted to go further they announced this was it for opengl so I started looking for a future-proof alternative that supports HW raytracing.

Vulkan: I looked into it. I don't want to touch that piece of crap even with a stick.
DX12: somewhat less verbose than Vulkan and looks like the only open possibility for me if I ever want to have a hybrid raytracing engine. The concepts are a bit overwhelming at first but things start to make sense after one learns the buzzwords.

I still find Chili's resources very helpful because the concepts are transferable.

@Chilli: have you considered making your hands dirty with dx12?

And finally, just for fun, let me show you guys another tutor (in music).
We all need some unrestricted swearing in this fucked up PC era of humanity. It's really funny to watch even if you have nothing to do with music production: https://youtu.be/uJ01aoWadLE

Enjoy!

chili
Site Admin

Re: new year, new members, new APIs

Post by chili » January 19th, 2021, 2:33 pm

Yeah I'd like to play with DX12 sometime :] DXR seems interesting ofc, and also stuff like mesh shaders is very schlexy-looking
Chili