Best Framework for Windows Applications?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
stixx88

Best Framework for Windows Applications?

Post by stixx88 » June 12th, 2020, 10:23 pm

Hey guys, new to C++ and working on Chili's awesome tutorials, however, I have an urgent need to write a windows app to read and manipulate xml files. Doing some research on frameworks for creating windows apps led me to QT. However, looking at the code examples, it seems to be all proprietary. Is that the case, or is it still pure c++?

Would you guys recommend QT for windows desktop apps, if not, what would you suggest?

I do want to shout out to Chili, THANK YOU! Your tutorials are great and I'm really liking C++ thanks to you. I just finished the snake game, so I'm still in the noob section, but fun times for sure.

-Dave

cyboryxmen

Re: Best Framework for Windows Applications?

Post by cyboryxmen » June 14th, 2020, 7:20 am

SDL is another option but it's meant to be low-level and for high performance applications like video games. That can make it more complicated than you need it to be. QT is going to be the better choice for most cases.

If you don't need high performance, you should just use C# .Net. It's Microsoft's preferred way of developing applications for WIndows.
Zekilk

stixx88

T

Post by stixx88 » June 14th, 2020, 9:40 am

Hey, thanks Zekilk, I appreciate the input. I figured I would use C++ for this and some other apps I have ideas for seeing that I'm learning C++ for gaming. Figured it can only help further the knowledge. So far QT seems pretty good, but I'm not so sure about the open source licensing aspect. Sounds like, if you share all of your code, you can pretty much use it anywhere.