UWP and DirectX

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
timbo

UWP and DirectX

Post by timbo » September 21st, 2019, 2:49 am

First off love the tutorials they get to the level of detail I need.

Now for the problem I'm trying to do DirectX 11 in UWP as I want to target both Desktop and XBox. Every time I try to cut back the MS template "DirectX 11 and XAML App" to a really basic level I fail. I somehow always manage to delete just that bit too much or not quite enough.

As a suggestion could you put together one or two videos on creating a UWP project that gets as far as drawing triangle on a SwapChainPanel as from there on I can just follow along from Lesson 17 or so in your C++ 3D DirectX Tutorial series.

albinopapa

Re: UWP and DirectX

Post by albinopapa » September 21st, 2019, 8:13 am

You could follow these tutorials. They are free up through rendering a triangle, which is where you say you want to be, so once you get that going, you can try porting it over to use the chili D3D framework.
Last edited by albinopapa on October 6th, 2019, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Incorrectly linked to DX 11.1 tutorials instead of 11.2 which is UWP.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

timbo

Post by timbo » September 21st, 2019, 4:18 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've done them but encounter the same problem namely getting a SwapChainPanel happening in a UWP App. It's that UWP thing that is breaking my head.

I've even added a bunch of log stuff to the template that generates the colourful spinning cube to understand the sequence things are happening in and then started with an Empty UWP App and added the calls, Nada. Must be missing some kind of flag, step or compile config. Checking the HRESULT's along the way and they all look good.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 23rd, 2019, 9:06 pm

Wish I could help, I never ventured into WinRT or UWP programming.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

timbo

Post by timbo » September 25th, 2019, 1:10 am

Ok it was there just hiding in plain sight the "DirectX for Windows 8" ==> "DirectX 11.2" covers getting an APP running and drawing a triangle. http://www.directxtutorial.com/LessonLi ... listid=112

Now "all" I need to do is get the linkage to a XAML SwapChainPanel happening as that will let me avoid lots of code for controls and text.