Learning and messing around

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
chili
Site Admin

Re: Learning and messing around

Post by chili » May 26th, 2019, 10:40 am

Haha, I'm not sure how cube game works, but looks cool :D
Chili

SunTroll

Post by SunTroll » May 26th, 2019, 6:45 pm

chili wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 10:40 am
Haha, I'm not sure how cube game works, but looks cool :D
In retrospect writing what you are supposed to do might have been a good idea.

You are supposed to avoid the cubes hitting your center while keeping them in the "shield" and you need to switch color of the shield to match the color of the cubes to damage them. After each round you can spend xp to upgrade (cannot upgrade when round is in progress). (The cubes also have different stats but I'm not spoiling which stats.)

SunTroll

Post by SunTroll » June 9th, 2019, 7:16 pm

Working on another game not sure if I will really finish this one since I kinda feel like I already practiced what I wanted to. I will probably just add the bare minimum to make it work and leave it like that.

DEM0N194

Post by DEM0N194 » June 11th, 2019, 10:58 am

Hey, i saw that you want to make games in UE4... If you want to use C++ to do it, I really recommend getting this course on Udemy. It's quite often on sale for 10€. But since you are a beginner, definitely finish Chili's intermediate tutorials first before you dive into UE4 C++.
Good luck on your coding endeavors.

SunTroll

Post by SunTroll » June 12th, 2019, 9:50 pm

In the end I ended up adding a bit less than I initially planned but a bit more than I planned when I made the previous comment.
cubeShooter source (Made after beginner 19.)

DEM0N194
I'm a bit hesitant to pay for tuts but I will definitely keep that in mind.

DEM0N194

Post by DEM0N194 » June 15th, 2019, 12:34 pm

Interesting concept. It took me a while to figure out what exactly I was supposed to do :D
I'm looking forward to what you create next. Keep up the good work.

SunTroll

Post by SunTroll » September 5th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Just letting everyone know that I'm not dead neither did I quit. It's just that life is kinda shit right now (and I'm not really liking redoing the game tuts on my own all that much which makes it even harder to get myself to program). Anyway I don't want to rant too much.

Probably won't be seeing anything from me for about another month then with bit of luck it should be better.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 5th, 2019, 7:07 pm

good luck
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

SunTroll

Post by SunTroll » November 18th, 2019, 9:21 pm

It took a bit longer than expected by I'm mostly fine now.

Also while I did very limited coding for the past few month I managed to do something that I will post just so you can look at how I managed to do an alarm clock with my current knowledge (beginner 20 tut)
alarmClock source

It's supper simple you pretty much can't do anything with it expect let it run and it will display time (you can turn of the rendering to save CPU h for hours m minutes s seconds a all) and ring at the time it is set to (duh).
I didn't bother to add any option to set the alarm since A I don't know how to make it save for the next time you start the program and B this guaranteed that it will ring at the correct time to wake up the person I did it for.

Pretty much the only thing worth looking at is how I did the clock in clock.cpp (warning prolonged staring may lead to IQ loss).
(Maybe also how I render the clock but meh.)

SunTroll

Post by SunTroll » January 2nd, 2020, 8:04 pm

Didn't work on my own stuff for a while since there were a lot of games in the series near the end. Well now I finished the beginner and did another game on my own.
My plan now is to rewatch the whole beginner series and see if there is perhaps something I completely forgot and depending on how big it is perhaps redo the corresponding tut.
After I'm done with that I will do one more game and then move on to intermediate.

Anyway here is the game.
JumpyCube source
Totally did not just reuse random sounds from chili games trust me :) .
(also gotta love the last 2 commits.)
Anyway the controls come with the game and I'm sure you can figure out the hud and what you are supposed to do.
The game is pretty easy to win so just do it.