Chilli Framework to Unreal?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Uta

Re: Chilli Framework to Unreal?

Post by Uta » April 12th, 2019, 6:45 pm

I ran into some interesting, "bugs" while trying to follow along the tutorial for Part 7.

During the 7a part I got a different window than Chili does. It didn't show an option to break, but seems to have automatically broken where it should have. When I tried using step-over I got a message saying something along the lines of "Cannot find assert.xxx (can't remember extension)" I haven't been able to repeat that bug because the one from 7b seems to have overwritten it.

During 7b if I try to step over or step in I get, "wkernelbase.pdb not loaded" For some reason the first few runs of the programs weren't behaving properly either. Even though the screenwidth bug was written properly the game was allowing me to move where I wanted. I have no idea why it worked that way. Weirdly, part a started having that bug for some reason. Now, 7a won't even break when I try to run it even after manually switching the x and y again.

I'm at a complete loss on this one.

(And thank you to everyone else whose commented so far. I learned a few things, and there were a few other things still over my head, but thank you for your time)

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » April 13th, 2019, 5:15 am

If you need help, post the code or a git repository link.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Uta

Post by Uta » April 13th, 2019, 4:00 pm

https://wiki.planetchili.net/index.php/ ... Tutorial_7

The code is identical to what's in here. I really want to stress that. The code has not been changed from what is extracted from the folder. I get the same error regardless if it's my own project, Tut-7a, or Tut-HW3. The debugger itself is what doesn't work. When I try to use the Step-Over or any related functions I get taken to a screen like the attached image. "assert.cpp no found"
Attachments
Capture.PNG
(69.94 KiB) Not downloaded yet

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » April 13th, 2019, 5:41 pm

If execution breaks due to an assertion (an error), you should not be trying to step. The program is in an error state and cannot proceed.

And you do not need the source/debug symbols for stuff like assert. Use the call stack functionality to change the view to a function call that is part of "your" code.
Chili

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » April 14th, 2019, 2:43 am

Also, try this:
Go to the Tools menu / Options / Debugging / Make sure there is a check mark in: Enable Just My Code

This should skip over library code like the assert.h/.cpp files.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Uta

Post by Uta » April 14th, 2019, 5:17 am

albinopapa wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 2:43 am
Also, try this:
Go to the Tools menu / Options / Debugging / Make sure there is a check mark in: Enable Just My Code

This should skip over library code like the assert.h/.cpp files.
That option was enabled, but I fixed it on my own anyways. I just did a full PC scan for Assert.cpp and it was found in a folder called Windows Kits, separated from the rest of Visual Studio. I'm not sure why this is, but it might have something to do with my first install of Visual Studio being done through Unity Engine. I don't know enough to say one way or another, but either way the problem is resolved.
chili wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 5:41 pm
If execution breaks due to an assertion (an error), you should not be trying to step. The program is in an error state and cannot proceed.

And you do not need the source/debug symbols for stuff like assert. Use the call stack functionality to change the view to a function call that is part of "your" code.
Are you saying I shouldn't, or I can't? Because after fixing it I definitely can. At least until I reach the point where the error actually occurs and then it breaks again. At least now I should be able to follow the video and do the homework. Looking forward to picking up again. Also, using the call-stack let me follow along for the 7a part of the tutorial, but the part where you set a Break and step through the code to fix that wall-hugging glitch wasn't working. I guess I could have used the call stack for that too, but it's annoying when you're demonstrating how to use the step-over feature and I couldn't even do that much.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » April 14th, 2019, 2:53 pm

I'm talking about when the assertion triggers the break. If you are starting from a manual break (via IDE breakpoint etc.) and stepping through, then ofc you can step until you actually trip the assertion/fault. The thing is, for the IDE to be looking for assert.cpp, it means that you either A) stepped into the assert call (not necessary or useful) or B) you tripped the assertion (in which case you cannot continue).
Chili

Uta

Post by Uta » April 14th, 2019, 7:05 pm

I'm just following the Tutorial. I'll try to explain this as best I can, but I'm bad with the technical jargon still.

First, this is Tutorial 7a. Assertion fails because y_mobile and x_mobile were switched in one of the DrawBox calls. (Line 80 of Game.cpp) You demonstrate how to set the solution to run in Debug Mode, talk about some troubleshooting if Debug crashes, and then show Assertion Fails, and click Retry. The program dumps you in assert.cpp and you talk about how this is too high-level for us to really use. So you show how to bring up the call stack, and then click through it to reach something familiar.

I can do the same thing just by using Step Over. Although it takes me through a lot of extra stuff to get to that point, and it breaks before reaching the DrawBox function that's tripping the Assertion to begin with. (Which definitely means I probably shouldn't be using Step Over like you said, as it breaks before I can see what's wrong, and should use the call stack there)

In Tutorial 7b the problem is that the "Player" is stuck to the right-hand wall. You then demonstrate how to set a manual break point to try and figure out what went wrong. This is where you talk about step-over and step-in. When I was doing this before I got the aforementioned error regarding "assert.cpp not loaded" It didn't matter where I set the Break Point, or what part of the code I tried to step over or in to, it just straight up wouldn't let me do anything with those functions until it knew where assert.cpp was.

Either way talking it over with you has definitely given me deeper insight into how this stuff works. So thank you for the assistance.

Behram

Post by Behram » May 12th, 2020, 1:30 pm

Uta wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 1:32 am
I suppose the meat of my question could have been boiled down to "Who is the Chilli of Unreal Unreal tutorials then ?
Chili is the Chili of UE C++ tutorials !

With a little planning and structure he can fill that void.

There's Ben tristems C++ on Udemy
And Ruebn Wards stuff on YouTube.

If Chili ever decides to ride that UE C++ Training Dragon,he'll roast Kings landing in a New York minute ;)

Cheer,
b

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » May 12th, 2020, 5:24 pm

Pretty sure chili's goal has been to teach C++ and using graphics is the easiest and most exciting way of doing it. There has been aspects chili has brought up, but not covered in much depth such as multi-threading or networking I'm assuming because they are domain specific. UE, Unity et al would also fall into this "domain specific" category and is probably why chili did not take this route to begin with.