Test

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
chili
Site Admin

Re: Test

Post by chili » February 26th, 2019, 3:53 pm

welcome back ;)

if you got a nice dark skin you like, let me know and I'll take a look. Current board version is 3.2.5
Chili

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » February 26th, 2019, 6:26 pm

If I come across one I'll be sure to do that. I didn't realize how it worked, thought it would be some settings somewhere that could be switched with just a few clicks. I'm reading through how to create your own skin, and it seems a little involved, and I don't know enough about js, html, css, etc... so it would take time familiarizing myself with it all.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome back, I'm assuming you mean to the new server as I've been helping out on here when I catch a troubled poster. However, I've been in somewhat of a slump on the coding side. Haven't really touched coding since sometime in October '18 and have noticed two things. One, I miss it and two I sleep better since I stopped.

When I am coding, I can't seem to separate my focus between the project I'm working on and real life. So when it's time for bed, I tend to want to keep coding or at the very least keep thinking of how to accomplish some task that may be stumping me or something I want to accomplish. This either keeps me awake in bed, or I get back up because I can't fall asleep anyway.

I ran into this at the end of summer and the beginning of last fall, exploring std::variant with different projects. By the time the end of October came around I had no more energy for programming. Every time I opened up VS, I'd just stare at the screen and stayed frozen in my seat. My hands felt heavy and didn't want to move. So, instead of forcing myself to continue I would just close VS and watch anime or political videos on YT. It's a sad day when you choose watching political videos over a hobby you thought you loved.

I have started watching Meeting C++ videos and it has started to reignite my interest in coding again, but I'm basically only spending at most an hour on a project when I do finally open up VS. I think last week I probably logged only two hours for the entire week. I know this will pick up and I'll be right back where I started, especially if I find something or come up with something that excites me.

The project I'm currently "working" on still has to do with std::variant, but this time focuses on state machines. I wanted it to go along with my State Machine post as sample code in addition to the turn style example I posted in that thread. So far, the code is a mess and would be difficult I think for someone unfamiliar with std::variant to follow along, though I think I can justify some of the decisions I made.

Well, I rambled long enough.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » February 27th, 2019, 10:09 am

I wasn't really implying that you would make a theme from scratch; that would quite a pain in the dick. There is a curated database of themes on the phpbb website, and I figured since you're the most one on the forum (as well as the only active MOD), you might wanna have some input into the new theme.

Sucks to hear about the coding stuff, but we all have our hiatuses from time to time. If you're looking for something interesting to whet your whistle, I got something tangentially related to what you've been doing. C++ coroutines seem to be uniquely suited to implementing many state machine applications in a manner which is ridiculously easy to conceptualize, write, and maintain. The setup to get it to work requires some pretty complex shit though. You should look into it.
Chili

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » February 27th, 2019, 10:11 pm

Whoops, I wasn't implying that you wanted me to create one, I was just checking to see how difficult it was in the case I couldn't find a pre-made template I liked or thought you'd like. If it would have been pretty simple, I may have done so, but even the phpbb website said it would take a lot of work to build from scratch.

I've looked into coroutines a little, but don't see how they would fit the state machine, aside from maybe calling a coroutine and having it return/yield the next state.

Recently I came across this video Coroutine TS a new way of thinking - Andreas Reischuck - Meeting C++ 2018 and I suppose I still don't get what the advantages would be in this case. Also, there is a line: Event event = co_yield state and the coroutine yields a state not an event, so my brain is broken.

I think I know what you mean about complex setup with the co_await and stuff for your custom types, and that may be the reason I have been hesitant in looking into it. I'm waiting to see what becomes finalized, which in this video it says coroutines haven't been accepted into C++20 as of yet.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » April 3rd, 2020, 7:05 pm

If you are still willing @chili, I finally decided to check out the theme database and

Some suggestions:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... lver_dark/
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... a0786c56f5

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » April 15th, 2020, 10:22 am

Thanks bruh. If/when I get some time I'll look into it. They don't have versions that exactly match what I'm running here, so I might need to upgrade the forum version, which may or may not be an involved process.
Chili