Baby Coder In Need Of Help

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Noah Muk

Re: Baby Coder In Need Of Help

Post by Noah Muk » February 21st, 2019, 6:17 am

Ok I feel like such an idiot but I figured out what to do finally. However when I compressed the Engine folder and tried to upload it, it failed because the file is too big. Currently it is at 10.9 MB and the forum will only let me post files up to 10 MiB. Do you need all the files in the Engine folder or can I possibly pick and choose what you need and upload individually? This is turning into a pain in the butt I know, but I really appreciate you trying to help! :mrgreen:

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » February 21st, 2019, 8:26 am

Ok, now that we got you to this point, there are some files/folders you don't need to include in the ZIP file and can be deleted from within the ZIP file itself.

The .vs folder can be removed as each time you open the project this folder and all associated files will be regenerated.
The Release and Engine/Release folders can be deleted as those will regenerate when you compile the project in Release x86 mode.
The Debug and Engine/Debug folders can be deleted as those will regenerate when you compile the project in Debug x86 mode.
The x64 and Engine/x64 folders can be deleted as those will regenerate when you compile in Release or Debug x64 mode ( the Release and Debug folders are in the x64 folder if you compile in x64 mode ).
The .git or git folder can also be deleted if present. This folder really only exists to track any changes when using git and as far as sharing on the forums isn't necessary in the ZIP file, but if present, you should not delete this folder from your main working directory.
After that your ZIP file should take up less than 100 KB or so.

All other files/folders should be okay and necessary to build and run this project.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Noah Muk

Post by Noah Muk » February 22nd, 2019, 5:26 am

HALLELUJAH!! I aM A GEnIuS :shock: Thanks as always! :D
Attachments
Engine.zip
(179.73 KiB) Downloaded 127 times

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » February 22nd, 2019, 8:58 am

Code: Select all

void Poo::Init( int in_x,int in_y,int in_vx,int in_vy )
{
	assert( initialized == false );
	x = in_y;
	y = in_x;
	vx = in_vx;
	vy = in_vy;
	initialized = true;
}
Do you see an issue here?
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » February 22nd, 2019, 9:05 am

A bit of a tricky one.

So the clue is the assertion ( y < Graphics::ScreenHeight ).

After walking backward from the PutPixel that threw the assertion, I made it all the way back to the Game::Compose function and couldn't see anything there that would cause the issue.
Set break points on the clamping code and none were hit.
Set a break point on the line after if( isStarted ) in Game::UpdateModel and it didn't trigger.
I finally figured it would have to be an issue earlier on, like during initialization, and sure enough I spotted the code above.

Backtracking is probably going to be the best way to figure out where these types of bugs originate.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » February 22nd, 2019, 9:07 am

Oh, by the way, so close on the ZIP file. The only thing missing was the Chili Framework 2016.sln file, but as mentioned earlier it just points to the Engine\Engine.vcxproj file so I was able to open and debug the project without issue.
Attachments
Chili Framework 2016.zip
This is what the ZIP file should look like for future reference, also this includes the fix.
(184.71 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Last edited by albinopapa on February 22nd, 2019, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add attachment

Noah Muk

Post by Noah Muk » February 23rd, 2019, 1:21 am

I THOUGHT THAT WAS THE ERROR (ugh) but I couldn't find it after several searches and a cross check with chili's code. Ok on the folder i will remember next time. I feel like such an idiot, but thank you soo much! :)

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » February 23rd, 2019, 6:27 am

You're welcome, good luck and have fun.