Newbie here

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Gintokyo

Newbie here

Post by Gintokyo » December 8th, 2018, 11:52 pm

Yo Chili,

First of all, thanks for the C++ series. I'm really having a good time watching your videos!

Second: is it normal that I'm not able to decently solve homeworks (I have to watch lesson 9) since lesson 6? Sometimes I kinda develop headaches, trying to understand how things work. Is that normal?
I feel pretty dumb, lol.

Since I have to star over studying Japanese, I'll thank you in Chinese: 谢谢!

albinopapa

Re: Newbie here

Post by albinopapa » December 9th, 2018, 3:47 am

Back when I first started, I would watch through a video, then rewatch and code along after that I was able to use them as references, going back to them when I needed a refresher.

However, looking over the microsoft documentation for DirectX my head would be swimming and I would frequently need to take naps through out the day just to handle the information overload.

TL;DR: You're not alone.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Gintokyo

Post by Gintokyo » December 15th, 2018, 12:28 pm

Thanks very much for the tip! I don't have enough time for naps (and I don't even like sleeping during daytime, lol), but I'll definately trying to look back at what I've typed in the code before going forward and try to mess it up a bit, just to see how it works.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one :D

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » December 15th, 2018, 3:37 pm

Yeah, I'm a stay at home dad, so I had the time. I think the biggest issue was I probably wasn't getting enough sleep to begin with, which only presented itself when I would try to learn something new that wasn't spoon fed to me.

I've heard this advice given here and there, but I'll say it anyway. The best teacher, besides chili, is experience. Watch a chili video, try making a short program that uses those techniques shown in the video. Since you will be going off script, you'll probably run into errors and need to debug your mistakes which helps immensely. Once you are able to debug your own stuff, maybe try helping out on the forum and debug someone else's mistakes. You get a lot of exposure to how someone else approaches a concept, see where common mistakes are made and so on. Pretty soon, coding gets pretty fun and easier.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » December 17th, 2018, 4:32 am

Yeah, I nag about it approximately a billion times over the course of beginner (and intermediate), but you gotta be coding shit up yourself or you'll never actually be gaining any real skill. Gotta take her off the rails and see where you go.
Chili

waurbenyeger

Post by waurbenyeger » December 21st, 2018, 6:30 am

Don't worry gintokyo you're not alone, I just started too. I tried learning years ago but I gave up because the delivery was drier than my mothers thanksgiving turkey and ultimately I was like fuck this person, fuck programming and fuck Tom Cruise -- even before all the Scientology shit.

I think the best advice that I can give is to set goals and create projects for yourself. It's the one thing I've never done with programming in the past. Have fun with it. Use PutPixel to draw Mario or whatever you have to do to keep it interesting and entertaining. Just enjoy the journey of learning something new. As soon as you lose that drive to learn you'll turn in to that old cunt yelling "this isn't music" at the youngsters because their computer machine replaced your geetar and the 'queermosexuals' on stage at half time ain't playin' music no good like they did back in the good ol' days.

Regardless, happy holidays dude (or dudette).