Problems with Visual Studio Compiler

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
GamerPL98

Problems with Visual Studio Compiler

Post by GamerPL98 » June 18th, 2018, 11:25 am

Hey
So I recently started watching chilli's tutorials to learn making games in c++
I already knew a bit of c++ so I watched a couple tutorials while installing Visual Studio
And today I finally opened it and...
I got this:
Spoiler:
1>------ Build started: Project: Engine, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
1>LINK : fatal error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler.
1>(compiler file 'f:\dd\vctools\compiler\utc\src\p2\main.c', line 260)
1> To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the program near the locations listed above.
1>Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
1> Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
1>
1>Main.obj : fatal error LNK1000: unknown error at 01379E26; consult documentation for technical support options
1>Done building project "Engine.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
After trying to compile the program
And
I've Googled a lil
But every single forum I found explained shit too complicated
Now don't get me wrong
I'm not a newbie with computers
But I'm also not an expert
And so I decided to get some help here hopefully
Thnx to anyone that responds :)
I have the latest version of Visual Studio on a Windows 7 laptop

albinopapa

Re: Problems with Visual Studio Compiler

Post by albinopapa » June 18th, 2018, 7:16 pm

I'm wondering which SDK did you install?

Check project properties and make sure your Platform is set to Windows 10 if you do not have the Windows 8.1 SDK installed.

Also: try this
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

GamerPL98

Post by GamerPL98 » June 18th, 2018, 9:51 pm

I got the windows 10 SDK yeah
I tried the link
I already have service pack 1 so yeah
Thnx for replying btw :)

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 18th, 2018, 11:57 pm

That is a weird-ass error. Usually that sort of error indicates a problem with the compiler (bug). It's not providing a diagnostic for the code it is compiling, but rather giving debug information for its own (the compiler's) source files.

I hope this is just a fluke. If the newest version has a bug that trips up the tuts this is gonna be annoying. As a workaround you could try reinstalling. Uninstall and install 2015 would be the safest bet. There is another unrelated bug in the 2017's lib code that makes the early intermediate tuts a pitd.
Chili

GamerPL98

Post by GamerPL98 » June 19th, 2018, 10:59 am

Thnx for the reply
So I noticed there was an update but same as reinstalling
It didn't do anything
So curently I'm uninstalling the 2017 version and downloading the 2015 version
Hopefully it'll work
Also
Hey Chilli
I got a question
So what if I finish the C++ course and I'd want to make my own game but using the framework as a basis for the engine
Would you mind me doing that?
Would I have to pay you or would a simple mention in the credits be enough?
I know that not making my own engine is lame and lazy but I can bet that I'll probably switch up or change some stuff in the framework to adapt more to the game I'd want to make but I also could bet that if I made my own engine from scratch it would have a lot of influence from your framework so yeah.
Again thnx for your reply and btw your videos are amazing

GamerPL98

Post by GamerPL98 » June 19th, 2018, 3:24 pm

So I installed the 2015 version and it doesn't have the same problem
But
The compiler says I'm missing ''ctype.h''
Here's the full code
Spoiler:
1>------ Build started: Project: Engine, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
1> DXErr.cpp
1> Game.cpp
1> Graphics.cpp
1> Keyboard.cpp
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\winnt.h(31): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ctype.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file Graphics.cpp)
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\winnt.h(31): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ctype.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file DXErr.cpp)
1> Main.cpp
1> MainWindow.cpp
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\winnt.h(31): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ctype.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file Game.cpp)
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\include\crtdefs.h(10): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'corecrt.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file Keyboard.cpp)
1> Mouse.cpp
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\winnt.h(31): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ctype.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file MainWindow.cpp)
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\include\crtdefs.h(10): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'corecrt.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file Mouse.cpp)
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\winnt.h(31): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ctype.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file Main.cpp)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
Although I also noticed that I don't have the windows 10 SDK but that might be the case because it's an older version

Slidy

Post by Slidy » June 19th, 2018, 3:44 pm

I think Chili mentioned before that he doesn't mind people using the framework to make games, but honestly the framework is just a light wrapper around some DirectX and WinAPI calls. It's more suited as a learning tool than as a game making tool. By the time you're proficient in C++ you'll be better off using a different framework like SFML or SDL.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 19th, 2018, 3:49 pm

Try this maybe:
https://stackoverflow.com/a/42258579/3773305

As for the framey, I couldn't stop ya if I wanted to. No money reqd because I gpl2'd the framework. Free and open to all. The only catch is, if you distribute a binary you are legally required to distribute (or at least make freely and publicly available) the source. And those who obtain the binary / source can do with it what they want as well.

Like slidy says, you can use the framework to study c++, you can make some fun shit in it as well. But when you wanna make a substantial game project, you should probably use SFML or SDL (or unity or UE4).
Chili

GamerPL98

Post by GamerPL98 » June 19th, 2018, 8:06 pm

Hey
I tried the link
And I still get the same problem

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » June 20th, 2018, 12:08 am

I've had similar issues and most of the time it seems to do with conflicting paths to the C++ library when installing more than one Visual Studio. If you have uninstalled VS2017 or still have it installed, I'd say it's still trying to look for the VS2017 files. Check the path for Includes and Library files and see if they point to Visual Studio 2017 or Visual Studio 2015.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com