help what are DLLs

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
catapilla

help what are DLLs

Post by catapilla » June 1st, 2018, 11:11 pm

I just installed SFML onto my computer via vcpkg, following along with chilis video- I used the same sample code from the SFML website that chili did to test it out, and it built fine. When i tried to run it though it gave me an error saying the file "freetype.dll" was not found. I couldn't find anywhere that talked about that specific error online, only a bunch of pages that talked about static linking, and i don't know what that is. It said that reinstalling 'the program' might fix that problem, but i don't know if it's talking about Visual Studio or SFML- I reinstalled VS2015, ad even tried running it in vs2017, but neither worked. I don't know how i would go about reinstalling sfml because the git bash window seems scary to use too much. lol.

Anyway please help if anyone has any advice or insight on this problem. Thanks!

MrGodin

Re: help what are DLLs

Post by MrGodin » June 2nd, 2018, 1:03 am

Curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought him back

catapilla

Post by catapilla » June 2nd, 2018, 1:54 am

Hmm that helps sort of?
Now instead of giving me warnings, the program starts up, tries to display a window, then closes automatically. Still using the same unchanged source from the sfml website.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » June 2nd, 2018, 4:53 am

Set a break point at the beginning of the sample code, press F10 to step over each line and see if anything is skipped.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 2nd, 2018, 11:39 am

Good find mr.g

looks like they're still working on this one.

as a temporary workaround try running it in release, it seems that it runs fine in release?
Chili

catapilla

Post by catapilla » June 2nd, 2018, 8:21 pm

OK i stepped thru and it looks like it's not working because it's failing to load the files. Guess i gotta look at the sprite tutorial vid first?

Thanks for all ya'lls help!! i feel empowered to solve problems

catapilla

Post by catapilla » June 2nd, 2018, 9:09 pm

OMG it was cause the file i was trying to load wasn't in the right location. i feel like a programming GOD.

Thanks every1