FUCK TECHNOLOGY

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
albinopapa

FUCK TECHNOLOGY

Post by albinopapa » April 14th, 2018, 4:55 am

I am pretty sure I have witnessed a hard drive failure, and it's is distressing. All my programming stuff, all my family photos from the last 12 years, artwork, everything just might be gone. Hoping machine is just fucking with me. I've tried swapping SATA cable and SATA ports, still not working. Had this happen a few weeks ago and a port swap OR reinstalling Windows brought things back to life, so was hoping to narrow down hardware or software. I haven't re-reinstalled Windows...really don't want to until I find out for sure if it is the board, cables or drive first. Dammit, why couldn't it have been the SSD that went out, it only stores the OS.

The drive is only 4-5 yrs old I think, so wouldn't have thought there'd be an issue for at least double that.

I'm going to go have a good cry, and rock myself to sleep now, I still have to tell the wife I lost all her photos of her baby boy.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

bobloblaw

Re: FUCK TECHNOLOGY

Post by bobloblaw » April 14th, 2018, 9:48 am

Damn man,
Hate when this happens to anyone. Anyone who reads this please please back your work up. I know it sucks and feels dumb but shit happens. External Hard drives are cheap now. In fact, it's been a few months I'm off to back up my newly created files; I highly recommend everyone do the same. Again sorry to hear that albinopapa. In this rare case I hope it's just the motherboard, yikes $$, but at least you'd still have the files. Crossing my fingers for ya.
~Logan
Here for your Artistic needs, Pixel or Vector I love it all. Check it out - Click Me

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » April 14th, 2018, 5:03 pm

Thanks man, purchased a 2TB Western Digital Black internal for replacement. If it is the motherboard, then I guess it's time for the upgrade I've been putting off.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » April 15th, 2018, 7:57 pm

At least get dropbox or something cloud and try to get the most treasured stuff safe!! Sorry to hear man, let us know if you are able to recover it all.

I have 1T with Dropbox and it is an absolute blessing.

Firepath

Post by Firepath » April 15th, 2018, 8:56 pm

Man that blows. I'm a bit paranoid myself and manually back stuff up. Not as often as I should though. Important stuff gets emailed to my Hotmail account too.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » April 15th, 2018, 9:51 pm

Yeah, I guess investing in a premium dropbox account or the Microsoft OneDrive would be a good idea. GitHub for projects, OneDrive/Dropbox for images and documents.

I try to remember putting my projects on GitHub, but usually forget after a few days.

Thanks for the sympathy, I'll keep you all posted. My drive won't be shipped until tomorrow, probably won't get it until next Friday.

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » April 16th, 2018, 2:10 am

That's what I love about DB. I have my working folders in dropbox. Then I have them synced at work and home. Any changes I make at any computer are auto updated instantly. All I ever do is copy the folder once in awhile to make a duplicate whenever I reach a milestone in the project and it's stable. Also in DB, so always available.

Plus as a bonus whenever you're at a buddy's place, you can just log into your account and download your game for them to play.

I don't work for dropbox... lol. I just re-read my post hahahaha

Alacaster

Post by Alacaster » April 17th, 2018, 11:46 pm

That sucks.
You can't be betrayed if you don't have any friends.
Why live? Cause why not.

MrGodin

Post by MrGodin » May 5th, 2018, 2:55 am

Lost most of my projects on a hard drive failure. It bites
Curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought him back

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » May 5th, 2018, 7:15 am

So I got the replacement about a week ago, has been working fine-ish so far. The computer has restarted randomly a couple of times since so I'm not sure what's going on. I'm still kind of hoping it's the motherboard, at least that might mean that the other hard drive is okay. For now, I'm just going to wait a while longer before reconnecting and seeing if I can pull off any old photos or if it's completely dead.