Ultimate Avro - A Jet Fighter Game.

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
thetoddfather

Ultimate Avro - A Jet Fighter Game.

Post by thetoddfather » April 10th, 2018, 7:41 pm

Hey everyone,

After MUCH toil and nearly tearing my hair out with bugs and glitches I have completed as much of Avro as I plan on doing for while. You now have three full-featured levels to play, each with 1-4 Stars of difficulty.

I am pretty proud of the way it has turned out!! Started a new post because the comments are from years ago. Super happy to refresh the game and give it some fairly addictive new depth of gameplay.

Be sure to read the README txt file attached to learn the ropes. At some point I will add something that teaches the game, but for now the read me will have to do.

Unfortunately, she is pretty big now, so I have to divide her up into two sections. I'd like to keep track of how many people play it, so the EXE is on here and the main root folder can be downloaded here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8j9vjtudr29o ... ?dl=0?dl=0

Please let me know what you think!!

Possible recent updates would be limiting the range of your missiles and making that an upgradeable feature, as well as bomb radius being an upgradeable feature.
Last edited by thetoddfather on September 17th, 2020, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobloblaw

Re: Ultimate Avro - A Jet Fighter Game.

Post by bobloblaw » April 11th, 2018, 11:43 pm

Nice Job TheToddfather, Glad to see you take this to a stage of your satisfaction. I've enjoyed watching it change and morph over the years. I'll check it out and let you know how bad I am at it ;) thanks for sharing this with the forum.

~Logan
Here for your Artistic needs, Pixel or Vector I love it all. Check it out - Click Me

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » April 12th, 2018, 6:03 pm

bobloblaw wrote:Nice Job TheToddfather, Glad to see you take this to a stage of your satisfaction. I've enjoyed watching it change and morph over the years. I'll check it out and let you know how bad I am at it ;) thanks for sharing this with the forum.

~Logan
Hey Bobloblaw!! Long time man.

Yah, I haven't touched programming in three years. Even then I wasn't working at it much. Nice to see a few familiar faces. Kinda quiet in here compared to the old days though. Was so fun sharing on here.

Figured I would get back into it by choosing one of my old projects and building on it toward my original vision.

I'm super happy with the way this has turned out and has evolved. Replay value is good. Fairly balanced. Not perfect, but I'm happy.

So, I think I'm gunna move on to something like Unity now so I can begin building games that I can share in the browser etc. I like the social aspect of making games. Kinda sad to put so much into something that really only my son ever sees lol.

How have you been? Done anything cool since we last spoke?

krautersuppe

Post by krautersuppe » April 14th, 2018, 7:41 pm

thetoddfather wrote: Please let me know what you think!!
All in all nice game with many features( there are lots of possibilities to expand on those too).It is little bit too wide for my screen(1280x1024) though.
Missions take little too long , i got tired and quit :lol: .
Besides that, there is no way that 3 of those bombs would cost 1200$ :D
thetoddfather wrote: Kinda sad to put so much into something that really only my son ever sees lol.
Oh come on, doesn't people on the forum count? For me they count far more than general public, because they are passionate about making games. I for example got super exited to get featured in Chili's video and also like to travel through forum posts for different games and applications people have made.
That being said I liked your screen smash. Would be great if it permanently changed background file like a kind of virus. I suppose it would be quite a challenge to code up something like that though.
DSU
Discord: dsu1, GitHub: https://github.com/DSpUz

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » April 14th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Thank-you for trying it out kraut! And for the feedback.
Sorry about the resolution issues. I have had a hell of a time getting the window working right and fullscreen mode is quite glitchy. Eventually I just gave up. Did you try fullscreen mode to see if it would fix your issue?
Missions take little too long , i got tired and quit :lol: .
Besides that, there is no way that 3 of those bombs would cost 1200$
I know where you are coming from on mission length, although I have designed it this way deliberately. It's designed to draw out the overall gameplay time some. I come from the old days when games were less ADD driven, and most of my projects kind of reflect that.

Similarly, the weapon cost has been designed with the same idea in mind. TECHNICALLY, the 3 bombs are free. It is the UPGRADE to your plane allowing you to hold 3 more bombs than you could before. I want the experience for those who stick it out and keep playing to be more rewarding for the gamer as he climbs the ladder and improves his Jet fighter.

But perhaps it is not as balanced as it should be, so thanks for the feedback.
Oh come on, doesn't people on the forum count?
Oh nothing is better than feeback from fellow programmers and game makers on planet chili. I just wish we had a little more feedback. You're the first to even play it on here I believe. So I miss the social aspect of ideas and feedback etc.

Basically, I just want people to try them. Some are gunna hate it, but once in awhile someone will love it. And that makes it all worth it.
That being said I liked your screen smash....Would be great if it permanently changed background file like a kind of virus
THANK-YOU for playin it man. Still is my sons favorite game I've made (He's 18). I personally love Avro and get right into it. But he loves Desktop Toybox and is always bugging me to update it. I don't think I would want to be that invasive, BUT if I created a screenshot at Quit of all the changes and such, maybe some people would want to make it their screensaver haha.

Very much appreciate the feedback my friend. And I'll think on at least shortening the mission times, however, gameplay balancing might get thrown off a bit and no one would want to buy the Speed upgrade, which really helps cut down on the mission times.

krautersuppe

Post by krautersuppe » April 16th, 2018, 8:04 am

thetoddfather wrote: Did you try fullscreen mode to see if it would fix your issue?
Yes i did. It works only at start screen. Besides that if i go to other application window(read-me file for instructions) and then come back screen gets white and program crashes. That's why i played in normal mode after that.
thetoddfather wrote: Similarly, the weapon cost has been designed with the same idea in mind. TECHNICALLY, the 3 bombs are free. It is the UPGRADE to your plane allowing you to hold 3 more bombs than you could before. I want the experience for those who stick it out and keep playing to be more rewarding for the gamer as he climbs the ladder and improves his Jet fighter.
That is not what i meant. I just said that there is no way such an upgrade would cost only 1200$
thetoddfather wrote: And I'll think on at least shortening the mission times, however, gameplay balancing might get thrown off a bit and no one would want to buy the Speed upgrade, which really helps cut down on the mission times.
Only shorter first mission would be ok. At my first try i flew to the 4 trucks, managed to blow up one of them and then tried several times to blow them up with bullets and crashed :)
Second time i only got 3 out of 4 and failed similarly.
Third time i got all of them and crashed at landing because i landed nose first despite the fact that i read about it in read-me :lol:
DSU
Discord: dsu1, GitHub: https://github.com/DSpUz

Zedtho

Post by Zedtho » April 16th, 2018, 9:24 am

Just a question, how would I install this? Download the .exe and the root folder, and what would I have to do then? Looking forward to trying this out!

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » April 16th, 2018, 10:51 pm

Just place the EXE file into the root folder and run it, assuming you have extracted the root folder to your desktop or wherever you want to keep it.

Be sure to read over the README file as well.

Let me know if you get it working!!