Zelda-like game demo!

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Florian3321

Zelda-like game demo!

Post by Florian3321 » February 8th, 2018, 3:59 pm

Hi guys!
I just wanted to share my project that I am working on at the moment: Its a zelda-like game. A demo because just some basic mechanics are implemented :)

GitHub: https://github.com/florianPat/ZeldaLike

I am open for suggestions, comments and all of that!

Thanks!

albinopapa

Re: Zelda-like game demo!

Post by albinopapa » February 9th, 2018, 9:05 am

I've looked through some of the code, it looks clean enough. I tried using NuGet package manager to install SFML, but it was a no go. Visual Studio complained about missing symbols. I haven't gotten around to linking with the SFML api yet, what version did you use?
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Florian3321

Post by Florian3321 » February 9th, 2018, 12:14 pm

Thanks for your comment!

I used vcpkg to "install" SFML, and as far as I found out, I use version 2.4.2-2 ;)

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » February 9th, 2018, 8:47 pm

Failed to load font "SourceCodePro-Regular.ttf"

You might provide the fonts you use in the game as part of the download as long as they are able to be redistributed. If you do, make sure to use a relative path to the font file. If you choose not to use a font that is able to be redistributed, provide an alternative font that comes standard with the end users' OS.

The game didn't crash with that error message, it just continuously printed it in the console window after I died.

One thing I didn't like about the gameplay was not being able to move and slash.

Some suggestions:
GAMEPLAY
- Being able to attack and move at the same time
- Configurable input / rebind keys / add controller support

AESTHETIC
- Animated water
- Different shades to show some depth further away from shoreline.
- Overlay to show some stats on players health, what map/level you are in, etc...
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Florian3321

Post by Florian3321 » February 10th, 2018, 10:15 am

Thanks for the advice!

The game is not polished yet, but the ideas are great. Yeah the hit and not moving, I could change that. I just implemented it like so because in for example Zelda a like to the past you could not do it either.
I used the font that comes with Windows, I should copy it into the project dir. Next commit will be that :)

Thanks for your time trying the game out :)