Learning From Chilli Posted Progress

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
albinopapa

Re: Learning From Chilli Posted Progress

Post by albinopapa » January 28th, 2017, 11:56 pm

Nevarra wrote:Also guys, I think we should get good at c++ then we could be his team haha
I've tried working on team projects and my experiences haven't been a joy ride. From my experiences, the levels in experiences can be a hindrance. Another thing is not having a clear path for the project, in other words the game wasn't designed and so was always adding new ideas and never getting the core game down. No project leader, someone to make the final decisions on what stays and what goes. Lack of knowledge and understanding of the tools for sharing ideas and code, mostly referring to using Git. Knowing how to divide up the project between team members in order to reduce or eliminate conflicts in the main branch of the repository.

So, if you want to start a team project, here are my suggestions.
  • Pick a team leader, someone who makes the decisions about who is going to do which tasks.
  • As a team, work out what the core game is going to be, allowing the team leader to make the final decision on features.
  • Learn to use flow charts and UML diagrams and implement them during the design phase of the project.
  • Learn to use Git intimately and not just how to create repositories and Push and Pull, but also on the usage of Git in a team setting. Fork the project and use Pull Requests for the team leader to look over changes and decide if it's ready to be merged into the main project
  • Use a "to do" list or check list with tasks that need to be completed and checked off to track progess
  • Decide on coding style and standards so the code is readable by all members of the team.
  • Keep documentation of all design decisions and coding standards so they can be referred to at any time, include this in the repository so that changes to the document(s) are also tracked.
  • Set a hard limit on what the core game is about and what would be considered a working demo that would express what the game is about.
  • Keep an updated list of features to add after the game demo is finally finished, allowing anyone to add to this list, but they won't get added until the core is done.
  • Use placeholder objects and graphics in place of final game assets until the final assets are complete
  • (time frames are adjustable) Have daily code check-ins and weekly group discussions on how things are going, any troubles in completing ones tasks.
  • Keep the first couple of project small, something that can be completed in the first 1-3 months.
The most important thing to me would be the design phase. This makes the project go by more smoothly if everyone knows what the game is about. Setting up UML diagrams will help determine what classes you will need, what members the classes will need and which functions the classes will use. They can also be used to visualize the object's different states; Idle, walking, ducking, firing, etc... and what conditions would cause a state change;

Player not pressing any buttons
walking -> Idle
ducking -> Idle
firing -> Idle

Player presses RightArrow
Idle -> walkingRight
ducking -> crawlingRight or rollingRight
firing -> runRightFiring

Flow charts can help visualize how a level can progress

Code: Select all

Player starts at some spawn point
                                                   Player enters pipe? 
        (true) change screen to pipe level       :           (false)player jumps over pit?
 Player exits through next pipe              |  (true)player reaches end of level:(false) Player loses life and sent back to start
player comes out near end of level           |                       
                                    Player climbs stairs and jumps on flag pole
(it's hard to do decision trees in text lol)

Anyway, hope this helps.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Nevarra

Post by Nevarra » October 16th, 2018, 4:48 am

Life took a turn, but I'm going to start again right here =D

krautersuppe

Post by krautersuppe » October 16th, 2018, 5:45 pm

Nevarra wrote:Life took a turn, but I'm going to start again right here =D
Good news.Are you going to make follow along videos again?
DSU
Discord: dsu1, GitHub: https://github.com/DSpUz