Should I learn two programming languages at the same time?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Radical

Should I learn two programming languages at the same time?

Post by Radical » January 15th, 2017, 9:22 pm

Hey everyone, do you think there would be any negative repercussions to learning two programming languages at once? I have been learning C++ for a few months now, but my highschool offers a course in Java. I want to keep following along with the Chili tutorials, but I am worried that if I start learning java then it may confuse me and I will end up trying to type java code into a C++ project and be wondering why it isn't working.

Do you think this would be an issue, or should I just go for it anyway?

Battlefrog

Re: Should I learn two programming languages at the same tim

Post by Battlefrog » January 16th, 2017, 12:37 am

Shouldn't be that hard to do, but as you say you might get confused as to what language you are typing in :P

Just go for it!
Broc W.

Sole Member of Sledgehog Software, trademark and LLC status pending.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » January 16th, 2017, 12:41 am

Ha, if you are new to C++ then it's probably a bad idea. Not that learning two languages is a bad idea, but because of what you just pointed out.

That being said, I didn't go for Java, but did venture out into Lua a bit. I did try using C++ commands in Lua, but not the other way round. I also tried Khan Academy's javascript course, I spent most my time trying to make it more like C++ lol.

Since you have to chance to learn it in school, I say go for it, if you don't, you'll be stuck trying to learn it on your own or finding some YT videos on how to do it later.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Radical

Post by Radical » January 16th, 2017, 1:21 am

Alright thanks. "Bad idea, but do it anyway" lol

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » January 16th, 2017, 1:25 am

It will be an issue, but the issue will be a small one. ;) I say go for it, Java is a good language to learn, and the class will be a slam dunk victory lap for you if you've caught up with my Reboot series and are understanding the material well enough.
Chili

cyboryxmen

Post by cyboryxmen » January 16th, 2017, 3:17 am

As a multi-linguist and programmer of multiple languages, the first real advantage that learning new languages gives you is allowing you to think in a different perspective. In all honesty, you can pretty much get away with simple Assembly programming without the bells and whistles of higher level programming concepts. However, knowing these concepts and using them as properly intended lets you see the problems from certain angles that you'll never see otherwise. It's kinda like living your life without knowing what schadenfreude is. Just by knowing this one word, it changes your perspective on how people behave and why things are the way they are.

You can try out C# and learn about their getters and setters and wonder why they aren't features in C++ yet. Then you can start venturing out to other languages like Go, Python and Haskell. They're all unique and give you different perspectives on how to tackle the same problems. Try and not fall into the trap other people did when you start to treat these languages as C++ when they are intended to be used differently. Let yourself be immersed in their philosophies and program them in their own unique way.
Zekilk

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » January 16th, 2017, 6:08 am

You can try out C# and learn about their getters and setters and wonder why they aren't features in C++ yet.
What's so special about it's getters and setters, that you'd want it in C++?
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » January 16th, 2017, 6:50 am

It's that intoxicating syntactic sugar... HOOK IT IN MY VEINS!!
Chili

cyboryxmen

Post by cyboryxmen » January 16th, 2017, 2:01 pm

The examples that some common textbooks provide does no justice to the transformative, polymorphic properties C#'s getter and setter functions provide.

Code: Select all

public void Update()
{
	pointer.position = system.mouse.position;

float length = pointer.position_from_centre.length;
	if ( length > threshhold_radius )
	{
		pointer.position_from_centre.length = threshhold_radius;
	}

turn_speed = length * speed * system.delta_time;

}

public void OnRelease()
{
	pointer.position_from_centre = new Vector2 ( 0, 0 );
}
Zekilk

RazerMade

Post by RazerMade » January 16th, 2017, 2:24 pm

Only you can decide if learning two languages simultaneously is for you. You should understand yourself well enough to know if you're capable, have the enthusiasm and have the time to continue both.

Personally, having tried learning two languages together, I found it advantageous at times because some languages share syntax. The only issue I ever encountered was making sure I was in the right headspace for the language I was meant to be using at a given time.