Step 1 - The Beginning - By Hidden

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Hidden

Step 1 - The Beginning - By Hidden

Post by Hidden » December 15th, 2016, 9:18 am

I am Hidden.

Janurary 20, 2017 is approaching.
In order for you to be ready, you must code the solutions on your own.
This is my only rule.

You have a lot to learn in a short about of time. Let's get started.

Task 1 - Decryption - Your First Step
In order for me to ENCRYPT my message, I used One Time Pad, Vigenere, then Caesar Cipher, IN THAT ORDER.

When I used a Caesar Cipher, I "did it" forward TWENTY times.
Format for ciphers with key: "ENCYRYPTED_STRING:KEY_FOR_ENCRYPTION" (w/o quotes).

Designated Task: Find the key that was used to encrypt it.

String to Decrypt: DBDYCIGMMESWOPUIWXXGBUMEAAFFJA:kuvgqeoumyoagejhfpkadgszmjjfsx:BCXXYH
(This string may change for reasons that I can't say until Janurary 20, 2017. They they will all decrypt the same.)

Better get started. You're running out of time.

Task 1 Winners
- Nobody

(Too hard? If enough people complain, then I'll add some more instuctions)
(Please only reply with questions on the problem. THAT MEANS DON'T REPLY WITH POSSIBLE ANSWERS)
(Edit: I changed my mind. You can share code. But when you get the FINAL answer, keep that to yourself please)

=============EDIT 2=============
Thanks to discord, it looks like I need to less vague.
I will wait two days before responding to this poll unless I get overwhelming response in the next, lets say 20 minute from this edit.
Be forewarned: I didn't not intend this to be easy, and I will not walk you through the entire answer until I believe sufficient time has passed. If you want zero handicaps, do not read this next section.
Spoiler:
- The FIRST KEY is in English.
- The SECOND KEY IS NOT in English
- The FINAL ANSWER is in English.
- Due to the nature of the OTP I used, it is impossible for me to make that key plaintext. It is Random.
- The OTP is ASCII Base-26 (just as the other two ciphers are)
- The Caesar cipher used to encode is NOT defined for NUMBERS or SPECIAL CHARACTERS. Only letters.
- Since there are multiple colons, work from the RIGHT MOST COLON, inwards. Look at the key definition again. If you really cannot get how the key is formatted, look at the following spoiler.
Please read the above spoiler if you're going to read this spoiler.
Spoiler:
If we start with the right colon, then everything to the left of that must be encrypted with the key on the other side.
Last edited by Hidden on December 18th, 2016, 11:40 am, edited 8 times in total.

egizz983

Re: Step 1 - The Beginning - By Hidden

Post by egizz983 » December 15th, 2016, 9:57 am

whats on Janurary 20, 2017 ?

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » December 15th, 2016, 10:23 pm

what's this about? o_o
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

Pindrought

Post by Pindrought » December 16th, 2016, 3:06 am

redacted
Last edited by Pindrought on December 17th, 2016, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PM me if you need to contact me. Thanks to all the helpful people on this forum especially to Chili.

mmmmmm

Post by mmmmmm » December 16th, 2016, 11:42 am

Hidden wrote:I am Hidden.

When I used a Caeser Cipher, I "did it" forward TWENTY times.
Just for jour information Caeser Chiper, and Vigenere Chipher are linear chiphers, so it doesn't matter how often you apply them the "encryption" is not harder to break only the "key" is changed.

example doing caesar twenty times is equal to do caesar one time with newkey=(20*key) mod 26

Hidden

Post by Hidden » December 17th, 2016, 9:07 pm

mmmmmm wrote: Just for jour information Caeser Chiper, and Vigenere Chipher are linear chiphers, so it doesn't matter how often you apply them the "encryption" is not harder to break only the "key" is changed.
example doing caesar twenty times is equal to do caesar one time with newkey=(20*key) mod 26
Then solve it.

reductor

Post by reductor » December 18th, 2016, 11:55 am

When people are done, feel free to send me the answer and can exchange sources to get the answer. (Before being updated, and after being updated)

mmmmmm

Post by mmmmmm » December 19th, 2016, 3:13 pm

i decrypted it

Pindrought

Post by Pindrought » December 19th, 2016, 7:36 pm

Oh I see now. Thanks for the clarification.

Better than going backwards eh?
PM me if you need to contact me. Thanks to all the helpful people on this forum especially to Chili.