Sneak Peek at 3D Fundamentals Intro Video

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
chili
Site Admin

Sneak Peek at 3D Fundamentals Intro Video

Post by chili » September 19th, 2016, 2:40 pm

Hey guys, got the intro to the soft 3D series mostly done. Looking for your input, specifically:

- What questions you have after watching
- What you think should be added
- What can be done to make it sound more interesting for people to pick up the series
- Memes
- Anal beads

If there's anything good let me know. I don't want the video to be too much longer though, so I might not include all your suggestions.

This is going to be the entry point to the series and might get good Youtube and google search traffic, not just traffic from the preceding series, so i want to do it well the first time because re-uploads will cost dearly in search engine ranking bullshit points.

https://youtu.be/1vrho-8aMFc

Git repo for the starting code if you're interested in reviewing it:
https://github.com/planetchili/3D_Fundamentals
Chili

freebattie

Re: Sneak Peek at 3D Fundamentals Intro Video

Post by freebattie » September 19th, 2016, 6:36 pm

i liked it, it made me want to learn more, but i fall in under the category off not knowing everything on the list, and i think a good idea is to put in one click link to your other series like when you list the needed knowledge, so you do like you need to know basic c++ if not push this link (beginner series) you also need to know about these things (Intermediate C++) etc, then you can pull in people that is not quit there yet in to your other videos.
but other than that i think its a good intro video, it got me wanting to learn this stuff.
classic chili video :),

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 19th, 2016, 9:06 pm

If this is just a primer for Hardware 3D, then I can't think of anything else. The list seems pretty comprehensive as far as getting shit on screen...correctly lol.

I think I'm mostly waiting for the 3D math. I'm just groping in the dark, it will be nice to get confirmation on things and hopefully better understanding on a few of the uses for dot/cross product. As you said in another thread, I know how to calculate them, it will be nice to know all the ways they can be used.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Scias

Post by Scias » September 20th, 2016, 9:52 pm

Overall it sounds good, a few things to consider would be:

Maybe let people know that the directX SDK is already included in the win8 & 10 OS.
Otherwise you'll haver to download it manually.

I guess the math portion should include spaces and subspaces as it's a big part of it.
And maybe summarize it as simply: Linear algebra.

..I guess it's baked in there, but instanced rendering is pretty sweet and should be covered : )

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » September 21st, 2016, 1:21 pm

@freebattie

Yeah, I mention it in the video, but it might pay to make the links to my other content a little more prominent. I was hoping the video would have that effect, a bit of motivation for people to master the prerequisite content.

@albinopapa

As far as the tutorials go, I'll probably only use cross products for calculating surface normals. I will mention their other uses when I introduce them though (calculating torque, area of a parallelogram, etc.)

@scias
The directx sdk isn't really a thing anymore. The DirectX libraries and headers etc. are now included in the Windows SDK, and that is installed with Visual Studio so there shouldn't be any problem.

I plan on keeping the math stuff very much on the practical & pragmatic side of things. Not sure if I'm going to need to explicitly address the concept of vector spaces, but I'll keep it in mind. Instanced rendering is something that will probably be covered in hardware series.
Chili

Scias

Post by Scias » September 21st, 2016, 10:35 pm

chili wrote: The directx sdk isn't really a thing anymore. The DirectX libraries and headers etc. are now included in the Windows SDK, and that is installed with Visual Studio so there shouldn't be any problem.
Yea, that was exactly what I was failing to say : )
I thought it wasn't included on win7 specifically, but after consulting my good friend google it kind of looks like it is. And by "kind of", I mean that you have to patch it through win-update, which I never use (unless I really have to).
chili wrote: I plan on keeping the math stuff very much on the practical & pragmatic side of things. Not sure if I'm going to need to explicitly address the concept of vector spaces, but I'll keep it in mind.
Bugger, my mind was all games games, of course we're making an engine first, that was the entire point of the video :P
Knowing how the spaces relate to each other is super useful, but that's probably for later on when making an actual game.
Then you can make cool shit like.. a satellite with the moon as its parentspace, with the earth as its parentspace, with the sun as its parentspace, with the center of the milky way as its worldspace. And knowing how to place a rocket or something on another body would require the changing of spaces.
Or maybe something more simple.... like a tank with the canon in a subspace, allowing us to rotate it easily.

I'll stop rambling.. you probably know more about this than I do, but I'm coming after you, I'll kick your butt in programming by the end of 2017 >:3
Last edited by Scias on September 22nd, 2016, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eyad

Post by eyad » September 22nd, 2016, 8:49 am

well.. the thing that made me follow you in the first place was that Your UNIQUE way of explaining shit and talking about topics that no one nearly touched or even if they do, its either so boring,linear , not that good or they just don't give PERFECT information. You rock keep it up.

however i have some questions:

1- will this be parallel with the new beginner series or after the beginner series finish?
2- the list of prerequisites you talked about should be in my pockets after i finish your advanced series or the HUGS project?

What can be done to make it sound more interesting for people to pick up the series?
well.. don't make it sound like course/subject , make it sound -and feel- like an adventure/game - Something FUN to do. Psychology is important

What you think should be added?
you talked about for example graphic requirements like basic raster theory or rasterization. you should give the link to videos you talk about this things, BUT consider that not every one will be able to watch those links of yours (maybe cause its long or the videos itself may require a prerequisite to be able to understand it ).

instead give an external link (maybe a website or another video) that explains that topic in the details you need the viewer to know. just care that it is understandable-easy and preferably short. that will make newcomers feel welcomed rather than obligated to watch your videos.

though this may harm your channel by making the viewer go to an external link instead of an old video, i don't think its that much. as from a viewer/student POV, i hate to be restrained by just only one option, so forcing me may work in short term, but it makes me feel uncomfortable following that source cause it follows a mindset of either me or nothing. which makes it feel way less informational.

instead if you point your viewers/students to outsources they will feel you/your videos are way more trustworthy. as you genuinely want to help them by pointing to all places which contain related info or at least the required one. thus making them go to this sources when they stumble at your videos and then eventually come back cause they are hungry for more. which will make them more willing to follow and interact with you.

you can increase the traffic of forums too or the chillipedia using this method too. by collecting those links in here that way its win-Win situation.

but whatever you choose i will be patiently waiting your videos to consume it :D so good luck and i hope that you have fun.

=====================================================================
on a side note: i dropped at hugs (black holes) cause -just my opinion- the way of your explanation was too fast -as you were mostly reading what have you done and explaining it- and the topics were not that easy either.

so i couldn't follow up -though i replayed most of them 3 or 4 times- what you did and fully understand it. i think that happened cause i didn't gradually get the information then digest it well. till i reach the "Aha!" moment of understanding it.
instead i got overwhelmed by the information bomb making me lost. (not so sure if this explanation is clear enough tho)

what i want to say.. i hope that this new series go like your new beginner series (where you code in front of us -though you don't actually type anything in real time-) instead of pre-written project (HUGS) cause that make things feel a bit more convenient.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 22nd, 2016, 10:45 am

Yeah, the HUGS series he said there wasn't really a point to follow along with the code because it's basically the same stuff he's covered throughout the earlier series. So taking the time to explain the newer things was a good choice. Plus, it's a video, you can always pause it rewatch it or whatever.

His new series does seem rushed to me, I'm not sure I'd be able to follow along if I hadn't gone through his old series. I prefer hour long videos, too much more than that and it gets a little tough to follow along, but as stated can always pause and come back to continue watching.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

freebattie

Post by freebattie » September 22nd, 2016, 12:52 pm

yeah i agree whit the new series part, if i was new i would be struggling at times, i like it now for picking up new topics like class etc, but if i watched this before the old series i would be struggling i am sure. can compare it to where i am now in the old series, i am at the beginner episode 20 and i needed to see it 2 times just to get the loading sprites right, and not even gotten to the animation part yet, and yes you can re watch etc, but that episode got my head spinning every time i try to follow it, but up until episode 20 its been nice speed on the information i feel.

MrGodin

Post by MrGodin » September 23rd, 2016, 1:30 pm

One thing i found about 3d programming is that when you start making shit happen it's very exciting and also very easy to start to dream big. Then all of a sudden the project gets outta hand (too large to manage alone). Just a thing with me, but i am sure it happens to others. anyways , always looking forward to Chili vids.
Peace Out
Curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought him back