Sneak Peek at 3D Fundamentals Intro Video

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
chili
Site Admin

Re: Sneak Peek at 3D Fundamentals Intro Video

Post by chili » September 24th, 2016, 6:02 am

Scias wrote:Bugger, my mind was all games games, of course we're making an engine first, that was the entire point of the video
Knowing how the spaces relate to each other is super useful, but that's probably for later on when making an actual game.
Then you can make cool shit like.. a satellite with the moon as its parentspace, with the earth as its parentspace, with the sun as its parentspace, with the center of the milky way as its worldspace. And knowing how to place a rocket or something on another body would require the changing of spaces.
Or maybe something more simple.... like a tank with the canon in a subspace, allowing us to rotate it easily.
When you first mentioned vector spaces, it sounded like you were talking about a rigorous mathematical treatment of the subject :D For sure, the idea of having models relative to other models will be covered, if not in the fundamentals series then definitely in the hardware graphics series.
eyad wrote:however i have some questions:
1- will this be parallel with the new beginner series or after the beginner series finish?
2- the list of prerequisites you talked about should be in my pockets after i finish your advanced series or the HUGS project?
I plan on releasing these alongside beginner. The prerequisites are all covered by the end of the advanced series.
eyad wrote:What you think should be added?
you talked about for example graphic requirements like basic raster theory or rasterization. you should give the link to videos you talk about this things, BUT consider that not every one will be able to watch those links of yours (maybe cause its long or the videos itself may require a prerequisite to be able to understand it ).

instead give an external link (maybe a website or another video) that explains that topic in the details you need the viewer to know. just care that it is understandable-easy and preferably short. that will make newcomers feel welcomed rather than obligated to watch your videos.

though this may harm your channel by making the viewer go to an external link instead of an old video, i don't think its that much. as from a viewer/student POV, i hate to be restrained by just only one option, so forcing me may work in short term, but it makes me feel uncomfortable following that source cause it follows a mindset of either me or nothing. which makes it feel way less informational.

instead if you point your viewers/students to outsources they will feel you/your videos are way more trustworthy. as you genuinely want to help them by pointing to all places which contain related info or at least the required one. thus making them go to this sources when they stumble at your videos and then eventually come back cause they are hungry for more. which will make them more willing to follow and interact with you.

you can increase the traffic of forums too or the chillipedia using this method too. by collecting those links in here that way its win-Win situation.
What I plan for the Chilipedia is to have pages for all the different topics / terminology of the stuff covered in the tutorials. Each page would also have links to external sources of information, in addition to links to Planet Chili stuff. It's a lot of work though. I might just collect useful links onto a page on the wiki linked to the top page for the 3D series / first page of the 3D series for the time being.
eyad wrote:what i want to say.. i hope that this new series go like your new beginner series (where you code in front of us -though you don't actually type anything in real time-) instead of pre-written project (HUGS) cause that make things feel a bit more convenient.
Yeah, the code-along format is probably optimal. Unfortunately, it's pretty much impossible given the amount of free time I have. I can do it with the beginner stuff because the topics are simple and the code is short, but in the more advanced stuff it's just not feasible. Given the finite amount of time I have, I'd rather spend it creating better explanations of the concepts rather than editing down hours of code typing footage.

Thanks for all the frank feedback man!

albinopapa wrote:His new series does seem rushed to me, I'm not sure I'd be able to follow along if I hadn't gone through his old series. I prefer hour long videos, too much more than that and it gets a little tough to follow along, but as stated can always pause and come back to continue watching.
I was worried about this as well, but from all the feedback I've been getting from first-time programmers, it seems like a non-issue. Actually, the only misgivings I've been hearing are from people that watched my old series (though the overwhelming majority seem to prefer the faster pace compared to the old stuff).
MrGodin wrote:One thing i found about 3d programming is that when you start making shit happen it's very exciting and also very easy to start to dream big. Then all of a sudden the project gets outta hand (too large to manage alone). Just a thing with me, but i am sure it happens to others. anyways , always looking forward to Chili vids.
Yeah, you have to keep your expectations and ambitions realistic or it's easy to crash and burn out.
Chili

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 24th, 2016, 9:07 am

About your reply to my post, glad to hear it.

I guess I have read many a post about your longer videos, so I guess it's a win for quicker explanations and less tourettes from typing mistakes, though ashamedly, it's one of those things that kept me interested while watching those long videos. Yeah I watched your videos for entertainment just as much as education, what of it?

Anyway, glad to hear the pep back in your voice in the videos.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » September 24th, 2016, 9:25 am

There is something else that might be a problem in the videos, or in one video in particular to be exact. There is a huge dropoff of viewership between T4 and T5 (33%), indicating that maybe there is something in T4 that is turning people off (really, there are so many things it's hard to tell which it could be :lol:).

I might have to re-record T4 and upload it again sometime in the near future. That might require redoing of T4-hw and T5 as well, depending on what changes.
Chili

freebattie

Post by freebattie » September 24th, 2016, 9:59 am

hard to tell,nothing popped as bad to me when i watch it, maybe bit to much "abstract" stuff at once? like the double buffer thing etc? only thing i seen in comments is some have trouble whit declaring in .h

NinjaRoo88

Post by NinjaRoo88 » September 26th, 2016, 1:50 pm

Will you be covering Binary Space Partitioning in your 3d series?

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 26th, 2016, 3:47 pm

NinjaRoo88 wrote:Will you be covering Binary Space Partitioning in your 3d series?
Like Kd trees?
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Byteraver

Post by Byteraver » September 26th, 2016, 8:11 pm

Brace yourself, sh*t just got real. This is it though, was looking forward to this. The prerequisites do look intimidating however. I guess now is the time to quickly catch up on a few neglected subjects so we're ready.
As long as you keep it as simple and as accessible as possible it should be just fine. Because that is why we love what you do. Love the dirty language too, never make it too serious.
Peace out.

NinjaRoo88

Post by NinjaRoo88 » September 28th, 2016, 2:37 pm

albinopapa wrote:
NinjaRoo88 wrote:Will you be covering Binary Space Partitioning in your 3d series?
Like Kd trees?
I mean sectoring ala Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb6Eo1D6VW8

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 28th, 2016, 7:02 pm

Oh, ok. Data search trees are nice.

BurakCanik

Post by BurakCanik » October 3rd, 2016, 5:49 pm

Video was fine I think. Stellar job as usual. I can't think of aything to add about this intro video.
About the series itself though, I'd say emphasize and focus on world-view-projection transforms. That shit is essential I think. More generally, change of coordinate matrices seem to be an important topic in CG. I didn't get it the first time I thought I got it. Idk maybe I'm dumb :D Anyways kudos. I'll be looking forward to this.
If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain" - Morpheus