Feedback on Framework 2016 - Draft

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
chili
Site Admin

Re: Feedback on Framework 2016 - Draft

Post by chili » June 28th, 2016, 1:45 pm

good shit go౦ԁ sHit

Memes.

Papa: nice catch on the weird d3d10 constant. I like your idea of replacing zeromemory etc. with a simple initializer.

Cam: Partly, my philosophy is that if a function qualifies for constexpr, I want to make it so (picard.gif) because shit, I like compile time stuff. Of course, any compiler worth its salt would probably be able to make that optimization anyways in most situations at a lower level, but it's nice to have that shit explicit. Still, the problem is making something constexpr that doesn't really need to be constexpr, then somebody writes some code that depends on that constexprness, then later you make a change that breaks the constexprness (because you heck, you added that constexpr in for shits and giggles in the first place). One you go constexpr, you never go back. So yeah, I will reconsider constexpr where it is used and make sure it I really want it.

I like the syntax for nameless structs and shit, but you're right it's not standard and I too debated it while writing the new framework code. Still undecided (this tutorial is already locked into Visual studio, so im not worried about portability. If Microsoft changes their mind on this non-standard extensio though, it'll fuck over my code)

Nurlan: problem likely isn't your machine, it's your toolset. What version VS are you using to build the solution?

cyboryxmen: I like your crazy metaprogramming style cyborg. I wasn't aware of any situations where the static constexpr would not be inlined. Still, I think i'll stick with the constexpr stuff since it'll be simpler for a beginner to understand imo. That for the input man :)

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Seems like no major problems except for Nurlan on the compatibility side of things. I will massage the code a little more when I get back to Tokyo in a couple of days. Peace out.
Chili

Nurlan

Post by Nurlan » June 28th, 2016, 6:52 pm

Yes I think some problem with my own pc. Even minecraft stopped working(writed something about videocard), so maybe I will find the problem. So you shouldn't worry about me
What is an opposite of parallel.If you are engineer it is a series.If you are a mathematic-perpendicular

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » June 28th, 2016, 9:02 pm

well i didn't report on my behalf, for me the proj doesn't compile, fails atthe Color class with error of "not all variables were initialized in ctor"; am able to fix by giving the struct variable a name (and applying needed changes in ctors affected by that fix)
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » June 29th, 2016, 3:51 am

LuisR14 wrote:well i didn't report on my behalf, for me the proj doesn't compile, fails atthe Color class with error of "not all variables were initialized in ctor"; am able to fix by giving the struct variable a name (and applying needed changes in ctors affected by that fix)
What struct variable?
What ctor had the problem?
Are you using VS 2015?, which release?
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » June 29th, 2016, 4:59 am

albinopapa wrote:What struct variable?
the unnamed struct variable after the unsigned int c;
albinopapa wrote:What ctor had the problem?
the 1st 3 plus the 4 param one
albinopapa wrote:Are you using VS 2015?, which release?
constexpr is avail only in vs15 ofcourse, ... had forgotten that i was gonna try updating to vs15.2 b4 posting about this >.<
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » June 29th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Didn't know constexpr wasn't available until vs2015, since C++11 had defined constexpr originally, which should have meant vs2013 had it as well, at least release 4.

I'm guessing it's the constexpr expressions that were causing the compiler errors, or perhaps your warning level was set lower, causing it not to compiler if there is non-standard code.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

rekvijem

Post by rekvijem » June 30th, 2016, 2:26 pm

Win 10 64 bit
amd phenom triple-core 2.1 ghz
nvidia gforce 9600gt(no supporte for dx11)
framework is working but green sqare is rendering kind slow not sure is that intent.

sugestion for chili:(framework unrelated) throw in mini series about design patterns, something like 15-20 min videos with small example and explanation where it could be applied. I know u have a lot of stuff going on right now but if not now maby some time in future. Juste an idea.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » June 30th, 2016, 5:18 pm

How weird, MrGodin and rekvijem get green boxes, but in the code, doesn't it say

gfx.PutPixel( x,y,Colors::Red );

it should be a red resizable box.

Have you two been experimenting again?

cameron

Post by cameron » June 30th, 2016, 9:19 pm

It's Colors::Green.
Computer too slow? Consider running a VM on your toaster.