Tutorial Reboot Framework Suggestions

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
yoshiyukiblade

Re: Tutorial Reboot Framework Suggestions

Post by yoshiyukiblade » June 4th, 2016, 8:57 pm

I was wondering if the default "Win32 Project" template code in VS2015 is any good as an entry point for window creation. It's not really something that's easy to do from scratch, and a large part of it will probably have to come from some tutorial or reference somewhere. With an "official" template sitting right inside every viewer's VS2015 IDE, it may be more inviting to start from there. But if you just want to present the bare minimum code necessary for our purposes, that's fine too.

I've been spoiled a bit from using SDL2, since it takes care of all of this behind the scenes.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » June 6th, 2016, 4:15 am

If you are talking about the ATL or MFC portion, might be useful as a jumping off point for creating Win32 applications, but you would end up deleting a portion of code since it's not used for gaming usually. Last I checked, it had setup a window with a File and Help menu and About submenu.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

cyboryxmen

Post by cyboryxmen » June 12th, 2016, 1:48 pm

I suppose a way to get people to feel like they are not being constrained by the framework is to get them to buy into the idea that this is how programming works. Talk about how if say you want to make programs that work with Windows, you still need to use windows specific code like WinMain and appeal to the windows framework. Pretty much the only way for you to write completely independant code is by writing your own operating system kernel and even then, you still need to work with the computer's bios in order to load yourself into the computer and the rabbit hole just goes deeper and deeper from there.

Once they understand that this is how computers work and they are just writing code on the foundation of other people's code, they would realise the absurdity of trying to be independent and are more obliged to use the Framework and more importantly, the library of code already available to them.

I would know because this is pretty much how I got rid of the terrible mindset of complete independence and just use GLFW to get my keyboard input and make use of its multi platform features. People are going to go into these tutorials with a desire to be as low level as possible because they would've used something like Unity otherwise so it's good to explain to them the inter workings of the code whilst encouraging them to use much of what they have been given to its full advantage.
-Zekilk
Zekilk

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 13th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback cyborg. I totally agree about the depending on other codebases. At some level it can't be avoided unless you're planning on writing your own OS starting from machine code entry. I used to be really bad about that stuff too, never used any of the std containers, always rolling my own. You do learn a lot, but it's shit for productivity.

The thing is, getting people onboard for using the framework isn't even about productivity. I eventually want any student to try and write their own Win32/DirectX code to get a grasp of it. It's just that when you're just starting out, there's no way you're going to start learning about this API bullshit. And I do believe that a graphical approach is superior to the traditional console app approach for teaching into C++. So I want to impress upon the viewer that the framework is really just a light set of training wheels that will come off in the future. But I do agree that it's also important to learn the merit of standing on the shoulders of giants.
Chili

Nightfury2050

Post by Nightfury2050 » June 15th, 2016, 1:17 am

I am a member here since May/June 2015. It was my first try at game programming. Your videos were a total inspiration really, at least for me. I joined a gaming school in Dec 2015 and since then I learned basic OpenGL and Unity. I wish you make a complete tutorial on Game Engines, as that would really add up to the videos that you already have in place. As an example you can take up any old game engine and use it in your tutorial and also explain how to set up the game engines depending on the game that one is making.

Peregrin_Tuk

Post by Peregrin_Tuk » June 23rd, 2016, 7:47 pm

Thanks for the tutorials Chili...

This might be a dumb suggestion but...

-> I suggest you to change your IDE background to a dark one... The white background when you code a game for two hours fried my brain...

I learned a lot of things of C++ with your videos... the only thing that maybe was difficult to totally get is the DirectX implementation and the hardware manipulation, I mean, I wish I could do it for myself but I guess it requires another tutorial focused on DirectX...

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 24th, 2016, 1:27 am

Yeah, I switch to a dark background starting from the Advanced series. It is much better.

The DirectX stuff is of course hard. First thing is, if you don't understand the basic concepts of 3D graphics, the pipeline isn't going to make any sense.

At about the same time I launch the reboot series, I'm also going to launch a series on 3D graphics that picks up where the Advanced series left off. The 3D series won't talk about setting up the D3D11 pipeline, but it will teach the basics of 3d. It is basically getting ready for the next series, which will be all about D3D.
Chili

DeitusPrime

Post by DeitusPrime » August 5th, 2016, 8:56 pm

One more suggestion:

Recently, I've been studying up on seed algorithms (such as Dewdney's formula). Read a GREAT book on the subject titled 'Infinite Game Universe: Mathematical Techniques' (and sequel) 'Infinite Game Universe: Level Design, Terrain & Sound' (<-- I swear this is what Minecraft started with)...You can find those books real cheap on Amazon(make sure it has the CD) if anyone is interested.

Enlightening Stuff.

Anyways, I don't mean to prattle on about it... but I would love to see what Chili has in store for teaching seeds how they work, and perhaps, just chili's awesome view on the matter in general.

Say I have a grid of data (some blocks could be grass and waterfall) and want to seed patterns (like platforms and levels) with objects like badguy, powerup, etc... some good pattern-design mechanics (tips and pointers?) perhaps...would be awesome and appreciated.
Thanks. ;)
Choose not to go to destruction with a taco-sauce that is bland...
Go to construction with a taco-sauce that is flavorful!!
Mwa ha ha!!

Nurlan

Post by Nurlan » August 6th, 2016, 6:38 am

Maybe some stuff with rigid body physics?
What is an opposite of parallel.If you are engineer it is a series.If you are a mathematic-perpendicular