Snake Game - finished game

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Byteraver

Snake Game - finished game

Post by Byteraver » May 19th, 2016, 10:44 pm

Hi Guys!

This is my first post here :) Thanks to Chilli's cool tutorials and super practical framework I was able to make a complete snake game, just as in the old DOS days :mrgreen:

Features:
- 5 levels
- menu system
- 4 difficulty levels (game speed)
- customize-able in the source code (.exe & source attached).
- game can be paused by pressing space

It took me a while to get the keyboard to work just right but I think I kind of pulled it off.
Comments & Criticism are welcome of course, we do this to learn while having fun!

@Chilli: you totally rock. Thank you SO much for helping us out with your framework, it's a real bliss and it destroys the learning curve. I love it!

Love
Byteraver / TNT
Attachments
nibbles.zip
(58.99 KiB) Downloaded 311 times

Pindrought

Re: Snake Game - finished game

Post by Pindrought » May 20th, 2016, 2:20 am

Played through all the levels. Great job. Really like the way the stars move in the background so smoothly.
PM me if you need to contact me. Thanks to all the helpful people on this forum especially to Chili.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 20th, 2016, 3:30 am

Hey byteraver, thanks for coming down and sharing. :D This is well-made, a model example of a good game to test out and practice the skills presented in the tutorials. The nice little touches like the parallax star background and the font selection, the design of the menu, etc. really add to the experience. BTW, how far are you in the tutorials now?

I'm glad you dig the framework. A lot of people complain that they don't want to learn somebody's framework; they don't get that it's just a simple vehicle to accelerate the learning process and attack the basic topics of programming in a more interesting environment than the plain old text console. I never made these tutorials with the expectation that people would create large ambitious projects with the Chili framework; that's not the point. Although, I often find myself using it for various programs just because it's there and I'm lazy :P
Chili

Byteraver

Post by Byteraver » May 20th, 2016, 6:48 am

Hi guys, thanks for the fast reply & the encouraging words! I watched only about the first 15 tuts of the basic course. I came across your youtube videos a few years back when I was looking for information on Direct X and loved them. I'm looking forward to watch your videos on the specialized instruction sets (SSE, SSE2, etc). I did some assembler programming when I was younger, and loved it. This is somewhat related to that. Google tnt-mp11.zip for bad pascal + asm code (it's a mod player) if you want to have a look. Not sure if it is worth it though ;)

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 20th, 2016, 4:11 pm

Ah, I sense a kindred spirit. I'm currently on an x86 asm kick myself. Doing a lot of farting around on DOSBox. Check out this little number. It is my finest creation.
Attachments
pal.zip
(2.03 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Chili

Byteraver

Post by Byteraver » May 20th, 2016, 6:24 pm

Playing around with the pc speaker from what I can read :) What compiler do I use to compile it?
I loved asm because it was easy to debug back in the day. You had only two options:
1) the code worked fine
2) you needed to do a hard reset of your pc (best way to learn to make backups)
Unfortunately the code will be the exact opposite of being portable. But the speed gain was immense (20 times as fast compared to pascal :D). And if you want to make a 3D demo with music in 4096 bytes there really is no other option ;)

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 21st, 2016, 2:15 am

Yeah, it plays the Prelude from Final Fantasy on the internal speaker. I'm using Turbo Assembler right now to do my dirty work for me. The next stuff I wanna try is fooling around with is a TSR program, and then maybe create my own bootloader and fool around in protected mode/long mode ring0 stuff.

I might stream some of this stuff after I'm done with the CPU design stream.
Chili

Byteraver

Post by Byteraver » May 21st, 2016, 11:32 am

Don't know why I didn't try tasm :/ Got it to work, pretty neat indeed ;). I remember a few rare games back in the day used their self made dos extender (pmode by Thomas Pytel for ex.). They required 600 kb of base memory, and didn't even allow the use of himem.sys. I can tell you, it was a challenge to get them to run lol.

Zedtho

Post by Zedtho » February 24th, 2017, 6:52 pm

I agree with Chili, this is a full-fledged finished game in my opinion! Very well done!

I'm currently at episode 10 and I looked at your code and was rather confused, since I didn't recognise a lot of that stuff. Is all of this from the Chili tutorials? If so, then I should be prepared for the stuff we'll learn in the next episodes :E

Byteraver

Post by Byteraver » February 24th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Hi Zedtho, if there is anything in particular that puzzles you, you can always ask questions about it on the forum. I did some non-windows programming (DOS) before so not everything is taken from the tuts. This game was made a year ago and uses the first Framework Chili made. I did *not* make it after watching Chili's snek tuts so it is not based on that at all.