My Game Engine 3

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
mohagabo

My Game Engine 3

Post by mohagabo » May 8th, 2016, 11:37 am

good morning friends ,
this is my third topic about my game engine development this time i need some advice about how to speed up this one just 30 times .........

here is the latest version of it

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ozma8 ... ytrace.rar

not that it is a ray tracing solution which means once i can get it working in a good performance and a full screen res. the number of vertices of the scene will have no impact on the performance
as it is processing pixels not vertices ;

up till now
i did not use any multi threading it is only one thread is used .
by the way ....
the process of each pixel is the same but has many if statements and condition checking but it is the same for each pixel ,,,,does that mean i can use the CUDA cores from NVIDIA ....
i hop i will find your comments and your advises ..... thank you.

mohagabo

Re: My Game Engine 3

Post by mohagabo » May 8th, 2016, 2:40 pm

Where is your opinions friends ?

mmmmmm

Post by mmmmmm » May 8th, 2016, 2:44 pm

i would recommend using OpenCl instead of cuda, because it is not platform dependent

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » May 9th, 2016, 12:31 am

Yeah, opencl isn't hardware or software dependant, platform does seem to cover both of those, just wanted to be explicit.

DirectCompute isn't hardware dependant, just software dependant, only runs under Windows.
CUDA is hardware dependant, only runs on nVidia hardware, not sure if it's software dependant or not, don't know if it runs under Linux or whatever Apple OS for the desktop units they are using.
OpenCL runs on anything I believe.

I'll look at the code in a few, should be able to give a response tomorrow.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » May 9th, 2016, 12:38 am

Well, I can't give any advice about how to speed up the code, there is no code to check. You can use SSE + multi-threading if you want to run on CPU.

When you do SSE or GPU processing, you'd want to group all your data sequentially, so you can take advantage of CPU/GPU cache. It is true that GPU has several hundred threads so you will get the most performance from the GPU in that respect.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com