MonoGame

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
SpaceAnimation

MonoGame

Post by SpaceAnimation » October 3rd, 2014, 2:50 pm

Hey all, It been a while haha. So has anyone here used Monogame before?
Spacey :geek:

jkhippie

Re: MonoGame

Post by jkhippie » October 9th, 2014, 1:59 pm

Looks interesting. It's moved from XNA to C++?
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » October 9th, 2014, 3:23 pm

Looks like it's C#.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

jkhippie

Post by jkhippie » October 10th, 2014, 5:08 pm

A C# wrapper around the XNA framework, it would seem. Ugh. So, does that mean learning C# to use this, or can you write all your shit in C++ and just call it from the appropriate C# game loop, or whatever? And what's up with the little "subscripts" here and there? About references. Something to do with threading?

LoveXNA

Post by LoveXNA » October 10th, 2014, 8:47 pm

jkhippie wrote:A C# wrapper around the XNA framework, it would seem. Ugh. So, does that mean learning C# to use this, or can you write all your shit in C++ and just call it from the appropriate C# game loop, or whatever? And what's up with the little "subscripts" here and there? About references. Something to do with threading?
listen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3I-elw7v58

LordRhys

Post by LordRhys » October 10th, 2014, 11:32 pm

You need to use C# for monogame, Its all a wrapper for DirectX, so you can just keep using C++ with DIrect3D

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » October 12th, 2014, 4:35 am

Yeah, mono is like the open source cross-platform implementation of .net. So it's basically C#. Since it's mono, I think if you make a game with monogame it'll support other APIs depending on the target platform (e.g. it will run over top of OGL on a Linux machine). Might be interesting for cross platform stuff or for porting XNA stuff. Won't be able to get the performance of well-written C++ code though.
Chili

jkhippie

Post by jkhippie » October 15th, 2014, 7:39 pm

This is just great. I started getting into this shit, now I'm liking it. Just what I needed - one more thing to take up my time. Oh, well. I guess it won't hurt to learn another language.

jkhippie

Post by jkhippie » October 16th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Anyone else who's using this have a problem with the content pipeline or content project stuff?

LordRhys

Post by LordRhys » October 16th, 2014, 3:55 pm

There are multiple ways to use the content pipeline, you can get the beta builds where they are working on a content pipeline, you can write your own, or you can install XNA and create a dummy project and just drop the resources into that content pipeline for conversion to xnb files and then copy them into your monogame project. There are multiple tutorials for using XNA pipeline in monogame.