[Game] Pokémon Battle Arena

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
xXFracXx

[Game] Pokémon Battle Arena

Post by xXFracXx » January 6th, 2014, 6:59 pm

I made a Pokemon Clone with a few friends as my final year project for school. I thought I'll share it with you guys. Follow the link below to download and try it out!

http://xXFracXx.github.io/PBA-WebSite

There may be a few bugs here and there as I had to rush towards the end to meet the extended deadline. I was quite reluctant to post it here as the code at this state is a bunch of jibber jabber, it all just works fine and could break easily, but as I have used the Framework I thought I might as well post it.

Would love to have your feedback below! Also the game is still under dev, so your suggestions would be of great help.

Also the Source Code can be found here -
http://github.com/xXFracXx/PBA

Regards
Frac

aimlezz

Re: [Game] Pokémon Battle Arena

Post by aimlezz » January 7th, 2014, 10:57 am

okay, first of all, very good work. It looks really nice, i.e. nice sprites, nice idea to keep the game short (and not too complicated).
now for some things it's missing, e.g. the collision test with trainers, it works fine, but -let's face it- trainers have to spot you, and then run towards you... so basically you could define a value for each trainers direction, and then only test for a collision in one direction. It wouldnt be much more code, but it would make it so much more authentic ;-)
the easiest solution i can think of would be smth like:

Code: Select all

for(int i(trainer.direction); i<=trainer.nextWall; i++)
{
     if(i==player.posX) //or i==player.posY depending on what direction the trainer is looking
     {
         for(int k(trainer.posX); k<= player.posX - trainer_sprite_size; k++) // or posY instead of posX
               trainer.posX+=1; // or -again- trainer.posY+=1
      }
}
of course this is just an example, and i used a class for trainer and player here, also i just got up 10 mins ago, but this should give you an idea of what i mean ;-) (hope it does so).

Another thing i stumbled across is, if your pokemon is K.o. the trainer also gets a completely new pkmn, which is also smth i would change ;-) And last but not least, you should make use of the other functions in the battle-menu... or at least let the player switch out his pokemon ;-)

Nevertheless great work ;-)
Super bowl? Nah, just pack it regular ;-)

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » January 7th, 2014, 10:30 pm

There may be a few bugs here and there as I had to rush towards the end to meet the extended deadline... Also the game is still under dev
heh, this explains it all :P
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

Ollie Soldier

Post by Ollie Soldier » January 8th, 2014, 8:49 pm

Nice work! :)

bobloblaw

Post by bobloblaw » January 18th, 2014, 6:23 pm

I love it so far! Great use of the limited graphics pokemon employs. I was poking around your art resources and thought other beginning programmers might benefit from an observation I have made.

Right now as of 01/18/2014 on download the .rar was 2,266 KB. This may not seem like a lot now but as the game progresses and more environments get added this will balloon to even larger amounts of data. I want to iterate that by no means is the way you programmed it wrong, by looking at the graphics a little differently you could save a ton of space.

Here's an example:

During the intro from professor oak the text changes to give the player more information. Awesome, and needed to tell a story. However professor oak doesn't move, it is literally the same pose. In the folder Resources->Intro I found seven ( 7 ) professor Oak images. The top half doesn't change and the text box does. There are a few things you could do as a programmer to help yourself out when it comes to file size:

1. Have the program type out the text so you don't have to save the changing text boxes at all. Save just the background, display it once and have the text change procedurally.

2. Or if that seems like to much work and you didn't want to dynamically change the text you could save each text box separately and crop out the professor Oak bit. Load the static Professor Oak background plate and you've already saved room by not loading seven ( 7 ) backgrounds that didn't change.

To further demonstrate:
GraphicsForOptimalLoading.jpg
(134.71 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
Here for your Artistic needs, Pixel or Vector I love it all. Check it out - Click Me

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » January 19th, 2014, 2:53 am

hehe, you sure are good with images (probably much better than me xD) ...
and well what you said there was something i was gonna tell him on irc chat, but you've beat me to it xD
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

xXFracXx

Post by xXFracXx » January 26th, 2014, 3:52 pm

aimlezz wrote: ... now for some things it's missing, e.g. the collision test with trainers, it works fine, but -let's face it- trainers have to spot you, and then run towards you ...
Thank you :)
Yeah the original idea was to re make the entire game, but since we are still in High School and had other things higher on the priority list I decided that it would be better for us to make a condensed version, which would still capture our tribute and nostalgia towards the game.
As for the collisions, again time crunch. I will polish up the game in Late April once I graduate :)
Ollie Soldier wrote:Nice work! :)
bobloblaw wrote:I love it so far! Great use of the limited graphics pokemon employs. I was poking around your art resources and thought other beginning programmers might benefit from an observation I have made.

Right now as of 01/18/2014 on download the .rar was 2,266 KB. This may not seem like a lot now but as the game progresses and more environments get added this will balloon to even larger amounts of data. I want to iterate that by no means is the way you programmed it wrong, by looking at the graphics a little differently you could save a ton of space.
Thank you very much :)
Yes, I could have made the game much more optimized. At the time when I had made the Prof. Oak introduction I hadn't learnt how to display text using the framework, and that was the only work through that came to my mind. But yes, again the Prof's picture could have been separate from the the text images which would have cut down on the game's size indeed!

And I seem to have forgotten to give a special thanks to Luis for being there whenever I needed him. Without him this game would have never been made, and I might have given up on it countless times.
So LuisR14, I'm grateful from the bottom of my heart and thank you so much! :)