newGame project

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Pindrought

Re: newGame project

Post by Pindrought » December 19th, 2013, 9:04 pm

Looks really good man
PM me if you need to contact me. Thanks to all the helpful people on this forum especially to Chili.

Natories

Post by Natories » December 19th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Thanks Pindrought, I hope you enjoy the game!

I want to make this a networked game, player vs player, eventually and then try to do a 3D version using Chili's framework when we get to 3D. The main reason I stopped converting the game to the current framework! (No rush, really on getting to 3D Chili, I am enjoying your platformer lessons, they are showing me A LOT!)

Natories

Pindrought

Post by Pindrought » December 19th, 2013, 10:26 pm

Natories wrote:Thanks Pindrought, I hope you enjoy the game!

I want to make this a networked game, player vs player, eventually and then try to do a 3D version using Chili's framework when we get to 3D. The main reason I stopped converting the game to the current framework! (No rush, really on getting to 3D Chili, I am enjoying your platformer lessons, they are showing me A LOT!)

Natories
Well let me know if you need help getting networking going. I'm noob at it, but I can at least get it functional.
PM me if you need to contact me. Thanks to all the helpful people on this forum especially to Chili.

Natories

Post by Natories » December 19th, 2013, 10:59 pm

I'll keep the keyboard nearby with your addy, just in case!
I am a complete noob at it too, but I'll start tackling it, working it, troubleshooting it until my brain fries! If I get completely out of my 'area,' you'll be one of the ones that I'll start asking! I've got a couple of links to youtube videos that someone on the forum pointed out and I'll be using those as reference! ;-)

Thanks for offering!

Natories

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » December 20th, 2013, 2:06 am

you can always get help from me as well :) ..at the link below
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » December 20th, 2013, 4:10 am

Natories wrote:Thanks Pindrought, I hope you enjoy the game!

Natories
Glad to hear you're getting something out of them. I do want to move on to 3D as soon as possible though.
Chili

Natories

Post by Natories » December 20th, 2013, 4:53 am

@Luis
Great, the more people who I can have on stand-by, the merrier! I know I am going to have to rework a lot of the code to implement networking, but I feel I can do it! If I get stuck, I know that people like you, and others on the forum, will be able to lend their expertise! :-)

@Chili
Yes, some of the things are just cosmetic that I've learned, such as using Filters for organization, and others for coding, like implementing time delays that still allow the game to continue running instead of freezing while waiting! Lastly, the states and using keyboard input to control them!
I am eager to learn 3D, but I also like to run amuck with what I have learned so far from you! lol

Natories

bonjovifan

Post by bonjovifan » December 21st, 2013, 5:54 am

Sams Teach Yourself books are amazing! I don't have that one yet, although I am considering it. XD Is it worth it though?

Natories

Post by Natories » December 21st, 2013, 8:37 am

@bonjovifan
I take it you like the program? I did have to do several modifications to the framework to get the game to work as it does, but otherwise I stayed as true as I could. I agree with Lux when he stated, "Yes, I guess GDI is nowadays considered outdated, but if you make oldschool games and want to be sure they work for everyone then GDI is a probably the best way to go."
So, is it worth it, I think it is and you can learn more as you go, just as with Chili's videos!

Natories

bonjovifan

Post by bonjovifan » December 21st, 2013, 4:49 pm

I loved the game. XD I was playing for about two hours last night. And now I did a little research on Sams Teach Yourself Game Programming, and now I'm debating on which one I'd prefer. The one you mentioned: Sams Teach Yourself Game Programming In 24 Hours, or Sams Teach Yourself Game Programming With DirectX In 21 Days. XD Decisions, decisions lol. I'm leaning more towards the DirectX as of right now.