Snake Game finally completed

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
TonkoD

Snake Game finally completed

Post by TonkoD » December 7th, 2013, 3:47 pm

So I finally managed to complete my snake game project! Here's the game but this time withought the code, because it is around 12MB and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to upload files that big :D. Anyway if you want to see the code I can post it later, no problem. I'm currently starting to work on a map editor for the same game so expect that soon! Any feedback is appreciated. Enjoy!
Attachments
Tonko's Snake Game.rar
(4.98 MiB) Downloaded 377 times

LuX

Re: Snake Game finally completed

Post by LuX » December 8th, 2013, 11:36 am

This is pretty fun. I also like the fresh ideas with the spikes and that you have to eat your tail to win, although it could be a bit easier to begin. In the first level you have to start going spirals pretty early.
You could also add the feature the original snake had, where if the next move would kill you, you actually have double time to make a move before dying. this way you can more easily wait for the snake to reach the wall before turning.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Natories

Post by Natories » December 8th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Adrenalin junkies everywhere will love this game!
Nice work; I'd comment on it's features but LuX has pretty much touched on everything I was going to say too!

Natories

TonkoD

Post by TonkoD » December 8th, 2013, 4:16 pm

Lux, I never knew the original snake had such a feature :shock: . I'll try to implement it in the next "patch" with a couple of minor changes I'm planning and upload it with the map editor. Glad you both liked it!

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » December 9th, 2013, 3:12 pm

Nicely made! I like the use of colors and the overall good taste in the graphic design. The information page in the main menu was a nice touch too. Thanks for sharing tonko! :)
Chili

bonjovifan

Post by bonjovifan » December 13th, 2013, 4:50 am

Its actually very hard haha. The longest I grew the snake was I believe 36 lol. Well done though, I love the box designs. Almost reminds me of something you'd see in a Zelda game. XD

TonkoD

Post by TonkoD » December 13th, 2013, 5:32 pm

I updated the game as Lux suggested :P and now it's easier to grow bigger than before. I abandoned the map editor as it would take me some time to make and it really isn't anything so much different than the game. You can edit the maps however you want if you figure out how :P
Attachments
Snake.rar
(18.09 KiB) Downloaded 278 times

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » December 14th, 2013, 7:57 am

Yeah, map editor sounds like a lot of work. I'd rather be working on other more gamey stuff myself. ;)
Chili

LuX

Post by LuX » December 14th, 2013, 4:49 pm

Is it just me or does the new version crash for everyone? I even tried to place it with the earlier files (images, sounds,...)

I'd have to disagree with chili. Making a map editor is pretty quick, and can give you some new skills/ideas/experience from a different angle. From my messing around with different map editors has taught me a lot. The editor doesn't have to be anything fancy.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

TonkoD

Post by TonkoD » December 14th, 2013, 6:24 pm

I just tested it and it crashes to me too! Fugired out why and the problem is with a sprite the game doesn't use anymore but I forgot to delete from the code and now it loads it nevertheless. Just replace the old .exe file and it should work. Sorry for that mistake, it's my faulth.
Since you are saying it is useful to try and make the map editor I might just make it when I catch up with the Intermediate tutorials and apply my new knowedge.
Attachments
Snake.rar
(17.81 KiB) Downloaded 260 times