Legendary Cannibal Frenzy V0.2.1

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
GreatJake

Legendary Cannibal Frenzy V0.2.1

Post by GreatJake » December 5th, 2013, 2:19 am

This is my first time creating a platformer. No real levels or anything, just some tiles, buggy collision and a simple UI. I hope i can add some of chillies techniques to help make mine better :D.

Controls for current version:
Right click to place blocks.
Left click to pickup blocks.
Use the drop down menu to change block.
Arrow/WSAD keys to move.
Mouse to drag the menus around.
TAB to pause.
ESC to exit.

Telling me the state of your game when it became unplayable would really help me fix it :D
Attachments
LCF v0.2.1.zip
Many changes to game-play.
(4.66 MiB) Downloaded 305 times
Last edited by GreatJake on December 24th, 2013, 3:33 am, edited 13 times in total.

thetoddfather

Re: My first platformer

Post by thetoddfather » December 5th, 2013, 3:38 am

You will need these to run it.

Drop them in his project folder.
Attachments
Extras.zip
(598.67 KiB) Downloaded 286 times

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » December 5th, 2013, 3:42 am

Looks awesome man. Crashes quite a bit on me tho. Not sure why.

Think I'm getting the concept down. I'm liking this.

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » December 5th, 2013, 3:50 am

You put a lot of work into the graphics/font and it shows man. Grrrr, wonder why it keeps crashing. Props though. Those sprite sheets say a lot about how much you've put into the framework and game though. Hope to get her running smoothly here!!

GreatJake

Post by GreatJake » December 5th, 2013, 3:50 am

thetoddfather wrote:Looks awesome man. Crashes quite a bit on me tho. Not sure why.

Think I'm getting the concept down. I'm liking this.
Huh.. Things I program always crash on other peoples computers :'( lol. It hasn't crashed on me once. I actually tried to implement multi-threading and that may be the reason. And thanks for those extra files, I added them directly to the release.

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » December 5th, 2013, 5:16 am

I hear you bro, believe me. That avro game I'm working on, had to throw away a whole build because it compiled and ran in express, but I put the exe into a folder and crash. For the life of me I couldnt find the issue so had to redo all the work, testing it all the way. Hope you figure it out though, this looks really cool man.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » December 5th, 2013, 7:12 am

locked up on me after a few minutes, started typing through the alphabet to see if anything else does anything and freeze.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

GreatJake

Post by GreatJake » December 5th, 2013, 9:29 pm

thetoddfather wrote:I hear you bro, believe me. That avro game I'm working on, had to throw away a whole build because it compiled and ran in express, but I put the exe into a folder and crash. For the life of me I couldnt find the issue so had to redo all the work, testing it all the way. Hope you figure it out though, this looks really cool man.
albinopapa wrote: locked up on me after a few minutes, started typing through the alphabet to see if anything else does anything and freeze.
I just tried to synchronize the threads in the update and draw function. I think the problem may have been that while one thread was accessing the data and updating the other one was reading the data as it was being written too. It may be tricky to get them to work together but it gives you a nice FPS boost when they do work :P

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » December 5th, 2013, 11:11 pm

for me it locked up right away on trying to run it, having to wait until the computer hard closes the app o.o
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » December 6th, 2013, 3:08 pm

Yeah threads ftw! If you go to www.relisoft.com and check out their Win32 threading tutorial you'll see how I might eventually introduce inter-process communication and synchronization.
Chili