Tron... online!

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Ninjavision

Re: Tron... online!

Post by Ninjavision » September 28th, 2013, 6:47 pm

I have been running this through my head for the last few days and want to run it by you. I have a few ideas for how the game gets set up.

I am working on the updates I said for the main menu. Hard part is trying to get images loaded without requiring any external libs. I believe Lux mentioned Direct2D in another post so I have been pursuing that.

As for the sub menu, I believe all game type choices should lead to a lobby. There the players can make the following choices:

Number of Players
Player Names
Player Colors
Player Controls*

*Which player uses which control set.
I am working on a lobby design to match the main page design I created. if we do or do not allow the player to choose their own colors, I can create renders of a Tron character to match the color of each player and display a winner screen with the matching render and player name.

As for when the game is being played. I think the Bike Trails should have a maxLength and they should match the color chosen. I can create a little Tron Bike sprite and we should increase the size of the trails. I think the background should be black with some light blue ion trails running though it to make it more Tron-like.

Just some food for thought. Don't want to change anything without your input. I'll add more as it comes to mind.

Asimov

Post by Asimov » September 28th, 2013, 9:12 pm

Hi Ninjavision,

You could easily get a Tron glow if you use mentalray glow in 3ds max.
This is a test I did a couple of years ago, for a Marsport type game I was working on.

Never did finish it LOL.
Attachments
MarsportTron.jpg
(209.11 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

Ninjavision

Post by Ninjavision » September 28th, 2013, 9:39 pm

Asimov: I haven't even begun to work with 3D yet. I am still learning through the beginner series. Hahaha. I might be able to figure something out though. Thanks for the tip.

As for rendering images and text, turns out directx handles all that for me. Had to switch from d3d9 to d3dx9. Going to fiddle with this and see how things go. I currently am able to load .pngs and write text in any font face that is installed on the computer. That's a good start.

joelyboy94

Post by joelyboy94 » September 30th, 2013, 9:34 pm

Sounds cool NinjaVision!

And yeah guys knock yourself out; tron is yours, none shall interfere, do as you please!

I don't really know anything about 3D or 3D modelling though...

Asimov

Post by Asimov » September 30th, 2013, 11:15 pm

Hi,

I am a dab hand at 3D. I am learning character work at the moment in mudbox.

As for a Tron game I think that would be cool, but not just the light cycles, because that had been done to death in the 80's the first time around. eg the lines.

Unless you make proper 3D lightcycles, now that would be cool.

I got so far with the chilli tutorials and then I decided to have a go at making my own engine using directx. Got quite successful. Next stage was to learn the 3D, but I am rather caught up with looking for a new job at the moment.

I am looking for a job in 3D modelling, but it is hard to find anywhere close by.
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"

joelyboy94

Post by joelyboy94 » October 1st, 2013, 4:23 pm

Hi Asimov, must say I really know nothing about 3D so I can't help you guys!

Could you guys just try hosting a game if you know how to port forward, and a separate instance and join as a client and try playing? Would be greatly appreciated!

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » October 3rd, 2013, 5:57 am

@Asimov
Have you ever thought about being a Publish Artist for a 3D model broker like DAZ3D or Renderosity (there are others like squidoo I think it is)? You make models, morph targets, textures and/or static/animated poses and if they like your work you could sell it.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Asimov

Post by Asimov » October 3rd, 2013, 9:51 am

Hi albinopapa,

I am on http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_sear ... ate=217189

Where I can sell models, but I need a full time job. There is a reason that I have only put 3 models on that site that I cannot go into on here though.

I have done freelance work, but you can't really give up your job and do that.

Not sure what this Daz3D is though.

Plus character modelling is new to me. Only started delving into that recently.
----> Asimov

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » October 3rd, 2013, 6:51 pm

Yay, another Doctor who fan.

DAZ3D is a brokerage side like the one you are a part of. They started out I guess as a hobbyist software company to both compete and be compatible with Poser content. They have since gone a more commercial route and have developed their own software and their own format and have been trying to keep as much compatibility with SmithMicro's Poser software as possible.

I have read other published artists on the DAZ forums and others that say it's really not enough to pay the bills but is enough to make it worth their time. Just thought I'd throw it out there anyway. If you wanted to check them out http://www.daz3d.com is the link. There are several different categories.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Asimov

Post by Asimov » October 3rd, 2013, 7:06 pm

Hi albinopapa,
Yay, another Doctor who fan.
Yes I am a long time fan of Doctor Who, especially Tom Baker, hence when I make a Dalek or Sonic Screwdriver it had to be from the Tom Baker Era.

I do watch the new Doctor Who, but even without the wobbly sets it doesn't quite capture the essence of Doctor Who. I do think Matt Smith was a much better Doctor than some people have said. He reminded me of Peter Davison in some ways. It is such a shame that the writers tried to make him into a James Bond figure rather than a Sherlock Holmes in space which is what I always thought the Doctor was.
----> Asimov