Who's up for a group challenge?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
albinopapa

Re: Who's up for a group challenge?

Post by albinopapa » January 25th, 2014, 9:23 am

Are you speaking of the .obj file in the Assets folder? If so that is an export from Wings3D that I was using as a reference to try my hand at a 3D model importer. The start of the importer is also in there as well, OBJ_import.h and Object.cpp. If there is another file you are referring to let me know.
Last edited by albinopapa on January 25th, 2014, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » January 25th, 2014, 9:26 am

BTW, still working on it, I know you said not to change it, but I started to and now it's taking a toll on productivity. So, anyway if anyone is interested Luis, cameron and myself would love to have some more help on coding. Contact anyone of us and we can catch you up.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » January 29th, 2014, 2:50 am

Wings3D eh... I might have to take a look at that. Thanks albinopapa!
Chili

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » January 29th, 2014, 3:56 pm

Yeah, it's not as flashy as 3D Studio Max, Maya or anything, but it was free and simple enough to figure out. There are quite a few limitations, which some can be gotten around, but with unexpected results. For static meshes without holes it seems to do alright. Controls are a bit cumbersome and so is the UV mapping process, but I'm sure that UV mapping is cumbersome no matter which program you use depending on how detailed the model is.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » February 4th, 2014, 6:25 am

Making good progress on getting the group project back on track. Cameron has been adding new features like weapon upgrades while I get the code back to working order. Luis has added a way to change screen res and go to full screen.

Still haven't been able to get it to build so we don't have a screen shot to share yet. I guess when I get the code working and have something to share I'll upload pic and project, or if you want you can still join and download from Luis's git server, hit him up on his irc channel to get the details.

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » February 20th, 2014, 2:54 pm

hmm, so what'll be happening with this? :/
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » February 20th, 2014, 5:08 pm

Currently, there hasn't been a whole lot of progress, because I'm still working out a few issues with code structure. Once I get it figured out we can proceed with finishing the game.

If the game actually worked the way it's suppose to, we would have some menus, 8 levels, a controllable player ship, 5 different types of enemy ships with flight patterns, 2 bosses and 5 weapon types and some asteroids.

Cameron has done most of the additions such as the menus, all of the enemies, the asteroids and the shop. Luis has provided the git server and has updated the input class to use DirectInput instead of the windows32 api. As for me I setup the player ship and have been basically working on restructuring the code. I have been trying to use some of the more advanced topics chili has talked about in his videos like polymorphism, which is a pain at the moment.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » February 27th, 2014, 12:58 am

So, I'm uploading the current project and it's incompleteness because I want to see if anyone can figure out why "new" won't allocate memory...consistently. Sometimes it allocates, sometimes it crashes.

FYI, this version is so incomplete and functions have been commented out just to get it to build. Some variables are uninitialized. The current problem that we need to get past is in the Player class in Ship.cpp, there is a weapon array that won't allocate memory. As stated above, sometimes it does and makes it into the menu and even to the Play state, but not always. Good luck.
Attachments
Shooter.zip
(4.59 MiB) Downloaded 226 times

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » February 27th, 2014, 3:07 am

Sporadic crashes huh? That's a real bummer. Hate those.

I'll take a look at it when I get home, can't promise anything though.
Chili

Quelpro

Post by Quelpro » February 27th, 2014, 10:15 am

I will have a peep at it as well, I'd like to join the project as well however at this stage I'd like to be your first beta tester :)
I am still getting up to scratch with regards to my coding. I left the C++ world a few years ago in lieu of a career in networking as I find it exceptionally interesting :)

Perhaps you guys can integrate http://cpp-netlib.org/ or something similar in order to enable multilayer. As soon as I'm home I'll load up the file you gave us :)

Any chance we can get the GIT server up and running again :P