Who's up for a group challenge?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Multibyte

Re: Who's up for a group challenge?

Post by Multibyte » October 9th, 2013, 3:04 am

LuisR14 wrote:or it could mean that he hasn't read them yet? :lol: (messages don't get moved to the Sent box until the receiver reads them :))
Well, I did not know that. I thought maybe the server was having an issue. :o

bobloblaw

Post by bobloblaw » October 14th, 2013, 10:45 pm

Well guys I haven't commented yet on the project but I have been reading the back and forth since original post. Felt like doing some art today to warm up and I chose the space game. I'd love some feed back and I have a few loading screens in the works and will post those when they're ready. As far as graphics goes it really would help if we could use .png. Would love it if someone on the forums could post it if they know how. Chili?? Until then we can keep using .bmp like in the chilli videos thus far.

Image removed for future post. Sorry for the inconvenience.

The red reticle would in theory be controlled by the mouse or equivalent thumb stick, the movement of the ship controlled by wasd on the keyboard or second equivalent thumb stick. For those of you that wanted to do a more rpg based game we can include lvls, power ups, different factions, etc. When the enemy gets killed they have a chance to drop barrels, one being good to pick up the other bad. Maybe eve have a mystery barrel to tempt fate, could be bad or good. I added some asteroids based on request. Let me know if you would like me to create anything else.
-Cheers
bobloblaw
Last edited by bobloblaw on November 8th, 2013, 9:30 am, edited 5 times in total.
Here for your Artistic needs, Pixel or Vector I love it all. Check it out - Click Me

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » October 15th, 2013, 5:26 am

@bobloblaw
Nice artwork, as far as using png's vs bmp, not sure it matters as far as performance as loading the images in memory in D3DCOLOR format take up the same space, however, PNG import ability is added by chili to framework in one of his frameworks using GDI+. I haven't created the sprite class that he has yet, but the functionality is there in the D3DGraphics class.

I like the sprite idea, I think the original idea was to use geometric shapes which would be simple to do in code using points and the DrawLine function which is actually how I have it now, but it would take up a lot more cpu cycles to make it look prettier this way, especially without using the graphics card to do he math.

I guess if we had difficulty levels that affect how the heat gauge affects the player.

I was hoping to keep this a vertical scroll arcade style game so when coming up with ideas keep that in mind.

Possible game plot:
Our solar system is being invaded and you are the first line of defense. You must advance through (six?) levels in order to push the invaders back beyond our solar system.
  • Each level should have a boss.
    There should be different types of ships maybe 4 for the first level then add a new type in each additional level for a total of about 10 different types plus 6 bosses.
    It has been suggested that if player causes an enemy to perish, the player has a chance of getting a power-up, such as speed, different weapons or more shield strength, I kind of like this idea would like to keep this.
    Another thing I would like to see is asteroids that can be broke into 4 smaller pieces then those pieces can be blown up so can't hurt the ships. An obstacle to avoid for both player and computer.
Hope this helps, and am open to suggestions. I haven't received too much feed back in a while so this is a combination of the suggestions I have gathered and what I have made up to keep coding.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

bobloblaw

Post by bobloblaw » October 15th, 2013, 9:52 am

I know with chili's help I will one day utilize my graphics rendering ability and see it in a game. I see you guys definitely wanted to go in a different direction. Well you've inspired me to make the game I envision, thank you.
I would however like to help with the game you are developing. If you download the shooter game file and try to run it it throws an access violation error up. So I stepped through the code and found out it's an issue inside of Game.cpp -> DoState -> Play - >
I simply commented out...

Code: Select all

/*
if( jnfo.pButtons[0] )
{
	if( fireRate.GetTimeMilli() > 100 )
	{
		fireRate.StopWatch();
		p1ship.Fire();
		fireRate.StartWatch();
	}
}
*/
Then the magic it happened!

Side note: I was wondering if chili has and can post a larger in size ( giggity ) image of the chilli Framework Icon. I would like to make a Splash Screen in game stating this game is...
........._______________________________
........|-------------------------------------------|
........|--------------- image --------------------|
........|_______________________________|