Who's up for a group challenge?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
albinopapa

Who's up for a group challenge?

Post by albinopapa » September 3rd, 2013, 7:19 pm

[Update 11/22/2013]
It seems like progress is going backward, but I suppose that's what happens as you add things.
Scrolling added
Menu is working, though visually not complete also still needs a change or two.
Enemies are getting flight paths, not just chasing player around the screen.
Triggers added, seriously unfinished, triggers will be used to spawn enemies and asteroids throughout the levels.
Collision Detection is working.
Scoreboard has been added.

[Update 10/29/2013]
Progress is being made.
Asteroids added
Menu added - unfinished
Enemies added - unfinished
Collision Detection added - buggy
Score Counter added
more to come...

[Update 10/9/2013]
Ship moves and fires again yay!
Screen shot uploaded
Project uploaded to forum for those not familiar enough with Git.

[Update 10/7/2013]

Git Repository where the project is stored:
https://github.com/albinopapa/Shooter

[Update 10/3/2013]
Spent the week before last trying to recover the lost data after a bad merge experience with git.
Spent last week trying to decipher msdn website, figuring out why Luis's code wasn't working with my game controller.
I'm ready to get back to coding game logic. Still need suggestions for the planning stage, also if you check out the diagrams, I haven't added anything for the power-ups. I am wanting someone else to diagram how they should be implemented.

[Update 9/22/2013]
Game type will be a shooter
Lead man is LuisR14. He is working on getting source control setup to be able to more easily collaborate with each other.
IDE used is Visual Studio 2010/12.

[Update 3/13/2016]
It's back up. I've been missing this project and decided to bring it back to life. Updated with smart pointers. Uploaded to GitHub for 24/7 access. Am working on making it a little cleaner and more up to date as far as new things I've learned over the past 2.5 years since Luis, Cameron and I started working on this thing. It's still open as a group project, anyone who is willing can join it. Will post description at the end of this thread in separate post.

Ways to communicate:
  • albinopapa1 available from 9am to ~2pm Monday through Friday
  • luisr144 his tag says always available
IRC:
  • irc.freenode.net/#pchili
  • luisr14.no-ip.org #pchili
Luis also seems to have a Git repository hosted not using GitHub.

I'm still trying to figure out how this works so I may not be as helpful as I'd like to be right now. I'm using Git 1.8 with the Git GUI.

If anyone is interested in working together on a group project come on in, basic info is listed above. Any questions use communication methods above or PM me.
Attachments
ScreenShot.png
(13.62 KiB) Downloaded 511 times
Menu.png
(8.04 KiB) Downloaded 511 times
Last edited by albinopapa on March 12th, 2014, 4:12 am, edited 15 times in total.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

SpaceAnimation

Re: Who's up for a group challenge?

Post by SpaceAnimation » September 3rd, 2013, 8:03 pm

That sounds awesome. I vote yes!
I"d either want to make an RPG, platformer or retro styled game...
Spacey :geek:

LuX

Post by LuX » September 3rd, 2013, 8:17 pm

Sound like an interesting idea. I think a long time ago someone started up a team here and they went off making a game, but I can't recall ever hearing from them about it...

This kind of a project where people can come and go is pretty safe for a beginner to see what it's like (for me alike), but at the same time I have a feeling that the project would quickly turn out messy unless someone is carefully managing the game all the time. The newer Visual Studios (2012-2013) have some cool team feature where people can manage a single project at the same time via the internet, but I have not used it, so I'm not sure how it works. That might be helpful too, tho it might only be available in the ultimate versions.

Personally I think this sounds great, but someone would have to be managing the "team". That being said I'm really busy for the moment, I'll be free around summer next year when school ends and I'll have about half a year of free time until I have to go to the army. The drop in and out would suit me if I find time to take part in this.

About forum rules; there really are no solid "rules" here. Feel free to do and post anything you like. The only rule is not to not piss off chili (or me), which fortunately is really hard. You can advertise personal stuff like games or other projects but not commercial stuff that has no relation to anything here.

For a game idea to begin with I would suggest something that takes little programming but lots of designing so we can see how it works out when a lot of random people work at it. Something like a platformer or tile game that is powered by a map editor would seem simple.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 3rd, 2013, 9:38 pm

Lux, I had you in mind the whole time writing it as being the pessimist or at the very least the realist, lol. I'm glad to see you are interested and I know we would all benefit from your experience. That being said, I agree with you about the designing over coding. RPG's are fun and would like to make one eventually, but there would be an immense amount of things to keep up with I think with all the character leveling and abilities, not to mention a descent story.

A "Project Manager" would definitely be a huge help. I have the time to do it, but am not sure I have the personality for it, though since there is no pressure to get things done in a timely manner and peeps get to come and go as they please the main responsibilities of keeping up with the assets would be easy enough.

Side scrolling games like m@rio bros seem to still be fairly relevant nowadays and might be the easier choice for a first project. Plus, since chili is doing his tuts over a platformer we will have an unintentional/intentional guide along the way.

I think I will sum things up each Friday so that we have a way of knowing when things are being done.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

nG Inverse

Post by nG Inverse » September 4th, 2013, 2:08 am

Seems interesting.

For code management I would suggest github, assuming no one wants to deal with SVN.

cameron

Post by cameron » September 4th, 2013, 3:41 am

I am in on this it would give me some motivation to get back into programming.
Computer too slow? Consider running a VM on your toaster.

Ninjavision

Post by Ninjavision » September 4th, 2013, 4:56 am

I have been toying with the idea of a team project on here for a few weeks now. I just feel we have enough creative minds on here to come up with something awesome.

That being said: I vote we make a RPG that later we can evolve into an MMO RPG using a 3D world. Chili did say he planned to get that far in his tutorials and I think it would be a great experience to evolve something we create into something better as we learn more.

P.S. We need more than just C++ coders for that though.
  • Theme
  • Legend
  • Races
  • Creatures
  • Flora
  • Vehicles
  • Weapons
  • Armor/Clothing
  • Buildings
  • Jobs/Crafting
  • Classes
  • Skills
  • Materials

Story
  • Characters
  • Main Story
  • Side Stories
  • Race Stories
  • Class Stories

Graphics
  • Game Graphics
  • UI Graphics

Sound
  • Game Sounds
  • Music
  • UI Sounds
  • Character Voices
  • Voice Chat**

Art
  • Concept Art
  • Lore Art
  • Loading/Title Screens
**Something not needed until much later.

I'm sure I am missing a lot, but this is a start. PM me anything else and I can add it? I also have OCD and wouldn't mind organizing and formatting submitted code. I find the best part of this though, the fact that you can add your input and possibly change the whole project, but not feel obligated to code a single line.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 4th, 2013, 6:21 am

I looked up GitHub, looks like a great organizational tool. Didn't take but maybe 30 min to figure out how to start a project and then checked out a couple of Youtube vids that were helpful. Not sure how to team up on specific projects though.

Whoever does become "Project Manager" <- used loosely, needs to think about how everyone will be able to access the project in case he/she decides to take off as well or takes a break from project. GitHub seems to be a good candidate, it's free for opensource projects such as this one and will keep track of changes also who made the changes.

@Ninjavision - An RPG would be really interesting and I think there would be plenty of things for those following the beginners series to even help with, and I'm not just talking about story or artwork. That is as long as we made the RPG more of an NES era. I like the idea of turning it to 3D, but not a huge fan of MMO, however, if we make it that far, it would be good practice for adding networking support and MMO's are really popular.

Ninjavision

Post by Ninjavision » September 4th, 2013, 7:01 am

I have played a few games lately that have horrible multiplayer interaction. As you mentioned, I mostly had MMO in mind for the learning aspect. The RPG aspect is because I have always wanted to create a fictional world. I was either going to do it virtually or on paper as it is one of my major goals in life. I feel this place would be a great place to start towards that goal.

I also had an idea of creating a physics engine as a team. That will probably be much later on though.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 4th, 2013, 7:58 am

Here a list of all the characteristics of I could come up with. I ran through my childhood thinking about all the different platformers I've played or watched others play from Mario to Contra. I will list stuff for RPG next.

Platformer Characteristics
--------------------------
Main character
-move left and right
-jump up
-fall down
-attack
-health

Enemy characters
-move left and right
-jump up
-fall down
-attack
-AI(simple to complex)
-health

Levels
-background(static or animated)
-layers(optional but improves visuals by simulating depth)
-ground
-ledges
-pits
-items(health, 1ups, power-ups)
-puzzles/obsticles
-Music

Audio
-sound fx (for level entities and characters)

Controls
-keyboard(please no)
-gamepad( ideal for faster paced platformer )

Animation
-Characters
-liquids
-debris

Menu
-opening/main(choose options, new/load game, exit)
-ingame(save/quit game, options
-options (sound/music levels, controls)

Overlay/HUD
-health meter
-score
-current item(such as type of weapon or special ability)

Collision
-characters
-objects in level
-power-ups
-projectiles