Who's up for a group challenge?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
albinopapa

Re: Who's up for a group challenge?

Post by albinopapa » September 5th, 2013, 7:11 am

I see.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » September 5th, 2013, 10:23 am

By shooter, I mean a shoot-em-up.

Like one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKc5IIcvGE0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lAg6Qw_Qm8

But the most important thing is of course to do something that will motivate you.
Chili

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » September 5th, 2013, 10:52 am

i'd be willing to be manager, since my time is always free :P (unrelated but, i'd also be a good candidate for being a super mod of the forums :P)
i've already had experience in team projects btw :)
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 5th, 2013, 4:36 pm

Tomorrow is Friday and to start/keep momentum we have to make a decision on what type of game to make. So far RPG is in the lead. Chili's recommendation sounds like a lot of fun as well. I would have to say I enjoyed playing those types of games on NES as well as in the arcade.

For those that want to be project leaders try to keep this in mind. This is a volunteer project and no one is required to contribute even if they say they will.

Your responsibilities are to keep track of assets and source code.
Post updates about the project on the forum, perhaps in this thread or new thread such as "Group project status" or something similar.
If you can no longer participate or don't want to participate any longer you must let me know, as well as provide a way for the next person to be able to manage the project.

Someone suggested GitHub, those that have expressed interest in keeping up with the project might look into it, the entire team will need to use GitHub if that is the route chosen. Another way is to just post source files here and let the lead add to project. That would be a lot of work for the lead so don't know if that would be a good idea.

After picking a game idea, the next thing would be to decide on a Lead. Here are the volunteers for the position.

LuisR14
paapcity
Ninjavision
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Conflictus

Post by Conflictus » September 5th, 2013, 5:57 pm

I'd like to see a rpg style game, but probably not as a first project. I like chili's idea of starting with a shoot 'em up. A progression from shoot 'em up to action rpg to menu driven rpg might be a little more reasonable. Although, we may want to break it up even more beyond that.

I'm interested in the project, but I may not have a whole lot of time to devote to it until around summer of next year.

Ninjavision

Post by Ninjavision » September 5th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Let's go with Chili's idea for the first game. It will be easier and we don't need a lot of graphics to get the actual game coded. We could just use colored shapes if need be.

I don't know if I could be project lead... I can however add to the code and organize it. I often have to disappear for a week or two at a time. Maybe not so much now that I have a phone again, but I don't want to take that chance. I am more than will to help in any way I can though.

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » September 6th, 2013, 12:10 am

albinopapa wrote:Someone suggested GitHub, those that have expressed interest in keeping up with the project might look into it, the entire team will need to use GitHub if that is the route chosen.
there's also bitbucket, and well, google code
github is ofcourse git based, bitbucket is mercury based and google code was mainly svn but it supports mercury (i have accounts in all 3 so whichever is chosen i'd be able to manage :P)
albinopapa wrote:Another way is to just post source files here and let the lead add to project. That would be a lot of work for the lead so don't know if that would be a good idea.
well that is a good idea anyways, since not everyone would wanna create an account just to later not use it (me being one of those ppl :P, have an ocd on that lol :lol:)
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

SpaceAnimation

Post by SpaceAnimation » September 6th, 2013, 4:50 am

Well im sure we can get lazers working in a shootem up.
RPG is probably too much mork me thinks.
I change my vote to Shootem up!!!
Spacey :geek:

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 6th, 2013, 5:28 am

@Luis - I think you should be the lead. You have posted quite a bit on the forums and offered up a lot of advice. You say you have quite a bit of "spare" time and the OCD is probably going to help. I'm sure your experience in both programming and other team projects will help out a great deal. If you want/need any help with organizing Ninjavision and paapcity can be your lackeys, I can and will help help with anything I am capable, of course.

I know it's only Thursday, but unless more people join and say otherwise, the project will be a shooter. So the next steps are
  • designing the style of the shooter, Vertical scroll or horizontal
    Era ( Past, Present or futuristic )
    Number of types of enemies
    Setting (land, sea, space, mixed)
    Power-Ups (Types and conditions to getting them, such as random, time or score)
    Number of levels
    Behavior of the targets, pre-planned routes
    Speed of player and targets, movement and projectiles
    Number of lives
    Number of hits before losing a life
    scoreboard
    number of players
    continues/saves
    size of tiles and sprites
If there is anything else that needs to be added let me know.

I think after the designing stage of the game itself, we need to decide what classes we need and what functions we need for those classes to work. So more or less code design as well.

If it helps motivate anyone we can make a timeline of where we want to be in the project.

By:
9/13 - Characteristics of the game decided upon
9/20 - Basic code design should be decided upon <- can edit as we go
9/24 - Functions should be claimed
9/27 - Upload to Lead whatever is completed
10/4 - Upload to lead
10/11 - Upload to lead
10/18 - Upload to lead
10/25 - Upload to lead
11/1 - Finish

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » September 6th, 2013, 1:30 pm

Yeah, Ninjavision read my mind. Geometric shapes and colors can rock if you do them right. Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kijt1dH1u2g

Setting deadlines is a nice start. I suck at time management though, so I'm probably easily impressed by anything along those lines. ;)
Chili