Who's up for a group challenge?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
albinopapa

Re: Who's up for a group challenge?

Post by albinopapa » October 3rd, 2013, 5:39 am

Project isn't dead. I lost about a weeks worth of work about a week or 2 ago, made those diagrams and have been trying to figure out DInput code to use it instead of WinMM. Thank you Luis for the code, was a great help.

I hope to hear some suggestions about what you all want to have in the game.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Kiluad

Post by Kiluad » October 7th, 2013, 3:48 pm

albinopapa, i would consider going about it without suggestions from a theoretical point of view, and go forward based on suggestions from a practical point of view. as in, give people some roles, and let them have fun creation things for the game, then evaluate them, if they don't fit they don't fit and will be scrapped, unless they can be tweaked.

controls,
ai
level design
graphics
gun types
etc

all things people can be creating. once the basic names of things are in place, people can start building on that.

but that's just my opinion. I think it would be a lot more interactive for people wanting to take part in it, as well as giving people a better opportunity at developing communication skills with other programmers.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » October 7th, 2013, 5:25 pm

@Kiluad
Not sure I take your meaning. Without a game designed, how would I delegate roles? I agree something is lacking. Since this is a volunteer project I can't really rely on having anyone person assigned to a task. I would like to have the game designed so that people can claim a section that they are interested in coding.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Kiluad

Post by Kiluad » October 7th, 2013, 10:20 pm

i thought the basics were already covered, a shooter space game.

What more do you need? i don't understand why you insist you need so much detail already.

we have a space shooter to make. we need controls for the game, right? so make a group of people who want to do that, based on them volunteering. obviously if more than one person wants to work on it, they will need to work with others. so let them figure out how the ship moves. maybe if they press space bar the ship will do flips, who knows, it's their area, let them make it cool, people WILL give feedback, "oh thats way too fast, can you slow it down? it feels to hard to control, or it's to easy, whatever" "these controls are too complicated"

from my point of view, everyone here has played games, and everyone has their own ideas on what would make a game better. let them apply those ideas to this game, lets see if they were right, when more and more gets added, more ideas will come up. "omg, this would be sweet if an enemy came, then split into several different smaller enemies and swarmed the player, ima add that, see if it fits"

All people need is something to download, see whats there, and add to that, but they should tell you what they want to do, and you should send them toward the other people working on said subject.

is there a way, to add a download to the first page? and use the first page of this post as the main resource for the game? current status, etc?

Right now, and for the past several weeks, it seems like this game is all talk, with a lot of interest. there only needs to be very basic things in the game for people to start to add to it. but people need something to add to, and they need to know who they're working with, it seems silly for everyone to work on everything all the time.

but i don't know, it's your idea. i just want to see some work done, and thought if people were allowed to go to town on a certain area of the game, something would get accomplished.

Kiluad

Post by Kiluad » October 7th, 2013, 10:24 pm

sorry if that sounded a little harsh lol. i shortened it, and by shortening it, a lot of the tone got misplaced.

i meant that in the most respectful way. and was all meant in a positive light. im just struggling with why people aren't simply writing their ideas into the game, why do you want people to suggest them and not code them?

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » October 7th, 2013, 10:35 pm

pretty much why i offered up the irc channel, if ppl join the channel we could be in better contact (irc.yourirc.net #pchili)
Kiluad wrote: All people need is something to download, see whats there, and add to that, but they should tell you what they want to do, and you should send them toward the other people working on said subject.

is there a way, to add a download to the first page? and use the first page of this post as the main resource for the game? current status, etc?
hmm, if only i had super mod status i could edit it with the links and stuff o.o
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

Kiluad

Post by Kiluad » October 7th, 2013, 10:58 pm

I like the IRC channel idea, i joined. seems kinda dead in there, but irc is a good place to communicate, if people know how to get there.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » October 8th, 2013, 4:21 am

@Kiluad
I appreciate the suggestion and see your point. I figured having a little bit of structure would have been a good thing and maybe it is in other situations. I have not had any objections to anyone adding to the code I have uploaded and I believe I have posted links to the git repo that luis has setup. I uploaded a couple of diagrams suggested by another reader of the thread. All in an effort to get people involved as each person might get ideas by seeing differently. Some might read the posts and be able to come up with ideas that they would like to see or work on. Some might see the diagrams and come up with ideas and start thinking how they would code it.

As I said I have posted on here, you're correct might need to be on first post, the code as to what I wished to be a starting point. Luis has provided code for DInput, is hosting a git repository where I would like to store the code that way it gets updated in one place instead of one person parsing together snippets from others then send to me so I can upload to the first post.

I would love to have more help on this project and if you want to join in, come on in find something you want to do and do it. Noone has really asked about doing anything. The IRC channel was up for a bit, and your right it was pretty dead.

Let it be known anyone and everyone is welcome to help with, participate in, add to and offer ideas for this game.

P.S. I was a little nervous about your reply at first, but your points are valid and I hope you might stick around and help work on it.

Multibyte

Post by Multibyte » October 8th, 2013, 8:40 pm

Albinopapa,

I have received your PM and tried to reply twice but my reply messages are not leaving the Outbox for some reason. I guess the forum software is suffering some issue, because both PMs I have submitted hours ago are still in my Outbox under Private Messages section. The Sent folder is empty which, I guess, means the messages are not sent and are stuck in Outbox folder.

Anyway, I am still interested in this project. I've been busy with work lately but did not give up on game programming. ;)

I have started watching Chili's videos from the Intermediate section. Currently, I am at the part he talks about how things are displayed on the monitor - back buffer, front buffer, frame flipping etc. Next up is Chili talking about how to code the Framework. But, I think I'll go back and do a 2nd round on Beginner tutorials since I feel I don't have a good grasp of some of the things.

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » October 8th, 2013, 9:20 pm

Multibyte wrote:Albinopapa,
I have received your PM and tried to reply twice but my reply messages are not leaving the Outbox for some reason. I guess the forum software is suffering some issue, because both PMs I have submitted hours ago are still in my Outbox under Private Messages section. The Sent folder is empty which, I guess, means the messages are not sent and are stuck in Outbox folder.
or it could mean that he hasn't read them yet? :lol: (messages don't get moved to the Sent box until the receiver reads them :))
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --