Slow frame-rate for exercise in lesson 9

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
DNADrone

Slow frame-rate for exercise in lesson 9

Post by DNADrone » August 14th, 2013, 9:26 am

Hi,

Before I begin my silly questions, I'd like to thank you for the awesome tutorials. Keep up the hard work and keep inspiring people like this.

My machine runs on a 2GB ATI Radeon HD6970 graphics card and an 8-core AMD FX8350 with 4GHz frequency processor. So for the lesson 9 assignment, I had to make a square and make it move across the screen and if I hold down space, it will change the size. So I made a 200 by 200 square and wrote down the code for it to move. But in the directX window, if I try to move the square, the framerate is going down dangerously to the range of 1 or 2 fps. (Checked it out with fraps).

What should I do to keep the framerate steady? I mean, if my machine cannot handle such a simple task like moving 40,000 pixels, how can it run games like Crysis3 and Black Ops 2 ?(I played those games and those run smoothly on my machine, just for the record). Is this is a problem with my machine? or is it my code? or is it because I am suffering from a case of Common cold?

LoveXNA

Re: Slow frame-rate for exercise in lesson 9

Post by LoveXNA » August 14th, 2013, 11:56 am

DNADrone wrote: Is this is a problem with my machine?
I think poor machine, buy GTX titan or minimum GTX 780 and i7-4770k lol :D

LuX

Post by LuX » August 14th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Yeah, it's totally your computer... NOT!

Hate it when people delete their posts that might be useful for others; in short, we've answered this question many times: It's the framework that's inefficient, not your computer. Keep watching the tutorials, it will soon be boosted by a lot, later even more. By the time you understand everything you can make games render awesome graphics at Crysis speed.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

astr0

Post by astr0 » August 14th, 2013, 4:14 pm

yeah i just wanted to say what lux said... Very offten question. answer comes in lesson 13.
Programming is my art.

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » August 14th, 2013, 7:22 pm

heh, this just bothers me when ppl don't keep watching the tuts to find that their question would be answered >.> >.<
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

astr0

Post by astr0 » August 14th, 2013, 8:06 pm

no, i dissagree with you it's ok to be curious but they could for example search in topics cause i think every 10 days this question has been asked :D Could be the most asked one :D
Programming is my art.

DNADrone

Post by DNADrone » August 15th, 2013, 4:05 am

LOL... well it feels great to hear that my machine is not the culprit. Thanks for the help guys. Now can anyone help me out of this cold thing? A C++ code might help. :D

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » August 15th, 2013, 6:03 am

just as astr0 said, the fix is in lesson 13 :P
astr0 wrote:no, i dissagree with you it's ok to be curious but they could for example search in topics cause i think every 10 days this question has been asked :D Could be the most asked one :D
i'm just saying that it bothers me :P, but like yea, at least keep on watching or search the forums before going and making a new thread about it xP (not to be mean, but it seems that ppl are losing their common sense lol)
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

astr0

Post by astr0 » August 18th, 2013, 8:29 pm

yep. so, conclusion is- be curious guys but don't be lazy ;)
Programming is my art.