Chili Wiki

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
chili
Site Admin

Chili Wiki

Post by chili » August 4th, 2013, 2:54 pm

Planning on getting a Wiki online in about a month or so. The basic idea is to index the lesson by giving each lesson its own page with an overview of the lesson. The overview would have the topic keyword linked to pages which would give info on the topics, and the topic pages will have definitions, explanations, examples, links to outside pages, and links to the wiki pages of lessons which cover the topic. Tons of other stuff could be done, like having an index page with a table listing all the lessons and the topics covered on a single page.

If you guys have any ideas about the wiki, let's share them out here to try and refine the idea before I start putting it in motion. I'm not going to start until I've got a few tuts out first, because that's priority number one. But might as well start thinking about it now. Let me know what you guys think.
Chili

Syncan

Re: Chili Wiki

Post by Syncan » August 4th, 2013, 3:22 pm

What I find hard about DX-programming in general is that there is such a huge amount of datatypes and functions. I must learn to find my way in it. I have not tried to make my own DX-application because I would certainly forget to put in one of the necessary ( spelling? ) functions or types.

Can you put together what datatypes and functions you need to set-up a DirectX application?
I know you explained it in the lessons but it would be nice to get them all together...

udavdasha

Post by udavdasha » August 4th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Cool news! I was making my own notes for each lesson starting from the middle of the beginner course, and would be glad to share that stuff in a wiki format perhaps. Wiki does go on different languages, right? :roll:

LuX

Post by LuX » August 4th, 2013, 5:50 pm

Sounds cool. I think you listed pretty much the main stuff for a wiki.

One thing I came up with would be "homework/practice" area were you would give some material and a brief description what the person needs to be program with it, or a have a sample .exe and make the student replicate it. Stuff like that.

This page has roughly listed the lesson topics...: http://www.planetchili.net/forum/viewto ... f=3&t=1792
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » August 5th, 2013, 4:02 am

My wish is please don't make it as complicated to understand as wikipedia or cplusplus.com's explanation of things. I can follow most of it, but at times the explanation is just as confusing as how to use the code.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

rootcode

Post by rootcode » August 5th, 2013, 7:53 am

That would be awesome! That would be so helpful and useful for many people.

JerryTheBig

Post by JerryTheBig » August 5th, 2013, 10:03 pm

This gets pretty serious. I would appreciate wiki page about framework.
For example: Performance
I dont know why when I Play crysis I have more than 30 FPS. And when I start my own game with grid 20 x20 tiles that has texture 64x32 px I have only about 18. In release mode, I load texture only once...
Another one
How can I do settings menu where player can set new resoultion, fullscreen on/off, switching control keys.
I have no idea where I should search for theese stuff.

And the last thing.
I am not really into 3D games. Dont forget to do some 2D game tutorial somethimes please.

I am glad that you are back.
Thanks.

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » August 5th, 2013, 10:07 pm

JerryTheBig wrote: I dont know why when I Play crysis I have more than 30 FPS. And when I start my own game with grid 20 x20 tiles that has texture 64x32 px I have only about 18. In release mode, I load texture only once...
those games pretty much have lots of optimizations that the chili framework obviously doesn't have set (like pixel/vertex shaders, and other stuff i don't know about xD)
JerryTheBig wrote: How can I do settings menu where player can set new resoultion, fullscreen on/off, switching control keys.
I have no idea where I should search for theese stuff.
ofcourse that's all custom made stuff :P, you just gotta know where each dx setting is so you can connect them with your menu (and dialogs)
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

JerryTheBig

Post by JerryTheBig » August 5th, 2013, 10:23 pm

That is exactly the reason why there should be a page about framework. Because some of us dont know where these things are.

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » August 5th, 2013, 10:27 pm

all you gotta do is lookup the DirectX reference (framework doesn't have an easy way, it wasn't even designed to be used that way i guess)
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --