Chili Wiki

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
albinopapa

Re: Chili Wiki

Post by albinopapa » August 6th, 2013, 5:40 am

Right now the chili framework uses pure CPU to do all the drawing. Then copies from system memory to video memory, then the video card is told to draw the stuff. So from what I've seen about 40 64x64 pixel tiles starts to make my computer slow in debug mode and about 160 in release. That's with every tile having to test for color key btw.

When you downloaded the VC2010 and DX SDK you also got tutorials and a plethora of documentation on DX9, DX10 and DX11.

Is it real easy to follow? NO.
Is it possible to learn to update the framework using the information? Yes.

Instead of trying to use DX 9 and update the framework I have tried to go straight for DX11 since a ton of stuff has changed and been removed from DX9 in DX11. IE. D3DCOLOR is no longer used in DX11...and that's the most used DX feature in the chili framework, so would take a complete rewrite to do the same features. I agree, I wish I was smart enough and maybe a few of the smarty-pants chilis here (lux, Asimov) will help put that stuff in the wiki, I read on here they both have been learning other parts of the windows and dx api's as well. Wiki-ho!
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

SpaceAnimation

Post by SpaceAnimation » August 6th, 2013, 5:49 am

JerryTheBig wrote: I would appreciate wiki page about framework.
I agree with "JerryTheBig". I would like to see some basic to intermediate construction of a framework - more of your awesome Diagrams Chilli!. I have watched most of the Chilli series, i'm up to video 4 intermediate - so excited about this as it contained a lot of information of the bases and approach to understanding a framework from a perspective of how hardware and software interact with each other. Genius!
LuisR14 wrote:all you gotta do is look up the DirectX reference (framework doesn't have an easy way, it wasn't even designed to be used that way i guess)
Its hard to grasp the definitions provided by MS as a lot of technical jargon is used. It does take its toll on ones mind after some moons (time) spent researching, reading technical Wikipedia and so forth. I start to loose my shit in other words :ugeek:

This is why we need a wiki that any enthusiastic NUT can make sense of. Disassemble all this crap (technical jargon that adheres to a standard; you would need a degree in astrophysics to understand it) and open up opportunity for those wanting to get their game on. ;)

My Idea: which expands on video lesson 4 Intermediate

For instance given the image below:

quality-engine.zip
(72.09 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
we have an exploded view of a car engine. Imagine the framework as if it is an engine consisting of individual parts. Each part provides functionality to support the engine as a whole.

I wonder if we could make a exploded diagram of the framework and for each part of the framework, the code for that part is explained in a "Chilli" kind of way.

All this would have to be done in a chronological kind of way. The first snippet of code would produce the Skeleton with near to none functionality. Then for each part that is implemented the skeleton evolves. Kind of like the human body:
*muscle and tendons - keeping the the skeletons shape and structure
*stomach - to process food
*lungs - to breath
*heart - pump blood
*skin - to contain all this crap
etc....etc...you get what I mean

anyways~ that's my take on how I would like to receive the content delivered~

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » August 6th, 2013, 4:06 pm

albinopapa wrote:I agree, I wish I was smart enough and maybe a few of the smarty-pants chilis here (lux, Asimov) will help put that stuff in the wiki, I read on here they both have been learning other parts of the windows and dx api's as well.
SpaceAnimation wrote:
JerryTheBig wrote: I would appreciate wiki page about framework.
I agree with "JerryTheBig". I would like to see some basic to intermediate construction of a framework - more of your awesome Diagrams Chilli!
Its hard to grasp the definitions provided by MS as a lot of technical jargon is used. It does take its toll on ones mind after some moons (time) spent researching, reading technical Wikipedia and so forth.
This is why we need a wiki that any enthusiastic NUT can make sense of. Disassemble all this crap (technical jargon that adheres to a standard;
yea, that would be the best option :P
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

ghilllie

Post by ghilllie » August 7th, 2013, 3:48 pm

@SpaceAnimation nice sample you've got in there.

creating classes are the one that could make those things that you've explained.
Chili++ for President :)

SpaceAnimation

Post by SpaceAnimation » August 7th, 2013, 4:22 pm

ghilllie wrote: creating classes are the one that could make those things that you've explained.
Absolutely!!! ;)
Spacey :geek: