Hi everyone, new member here.

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
catakliss

Hi everyone, new member here.

Post by catakliss » August 1st, 2013, 1:58 am

Hi everyone,

First and foremost I would like to thank Chili for being awesome and making them hours videos for free.
Also thank you to this community for helping each other on the forum.

I am a new member here, i`m nearly finishing lesson 12, and I was wondering what do you guys suggest once we are done with beginner and intermediate series? I found plenty of direct X tutorials online, but I'm wondering which one would be the best one to chose after what chili taught us.

I'm actually starting a Software Dev certificate at my unversity for the next semester, and I would like to get as much ahead as I can. Of course the certificate is in JAVA which sounds horribly boring, because it is not really game related, but from what I can see, C++ and Java really looks similar.

Anyway, so if you guys have any suggestion on what to follow once we`re done with the chili serie, please let me know.

Thank you!

astr0

Re: Hi everyone, new member here.

Post by astr0 » August 1st, 2013, 7:36 am

First, don't think that you will finish beginner and intermediate series on several days or so. Thats what we all thought :) Most of us passed first 10 lessons in one day...

Second, I think that these tutorials won't end after chili finish intermediate series :) He said he will continue and start some 3D programming tutorials. I read on many places that that is soooooo complicated so he will do that very very slow.

Trust me with just these things in beginner serie you can make hell of a good program or game.
Programming is my art.

Syncan

Post by Syncan » August 1st, 2013, 12:18 pm

Welcome Catakliss!
Don't listen to Astro: ;) I did three weeks for the first 10 lessons, but I have to say, I simultaniously typed in what Chili did on the screen. Sometimes I needed to get back some minutes at the video, as I was too busy with typing that I did not follow to the explanation.

astr0

Post by astr0 » August 1st, 2013, 12:38 pm

:D

well thats why i am telling him not to expect (and not to be disapointed) that he will finish lessons quickly as so far. :) We all have to go back sometimes...
Programming is my art.

cameron

Post by cameron » August 1st, 2013, 4:26 pm

Welcome!
Computer too slow? Consider running a VM on your toaster.

Ninjavision

Post by Ninjavision » August 1st, 2013, 10:15 pm

Don't think the videos are the only learning resource either. Read through the post on this forum and you will catch a bunch more stuffs!

astr0

Post by astr0 » August 1st, 2013, 10:56 pm

I aprove that advice
Programming is my art.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » August 2nd, 2013, 3:56 am

Welcome aboard catakliss! You're right, Java is really similar to C++ and you can get a pretty good leg-up if you already know a lot of C++ before you start Java. I basically skipped all the lectures and still got A's in my Comp Sci courses because it was all simple compared to what I had been doing in C++. You just have to be aware of the finer points of difference between the two languages.
Chili

clau007

Post by clau007 » August 5th, 2013, 9:10 pm

catakliss wrote: I'm actually starting a Software Dev certificate at my unversity for the next semester, and I would like to get as much ahead as I can. Of course the certificate is in JAVA which sounds horribly boring, because it is not really game related, but from what I can see, C++ and Java really looks similar.
Well, that's false! Most games made for android devices are written in Java! (Also Minecraft is made in java!)

Remember that Java is a pure Object Oriented Programming language, so I suggest you to concentrate on this aspect of C++ if you want to learn both effectively.

BTW, the Intermediate series is very (VERY) long and itself covers numerous aspects of OOP. Don't expect to complete the Tutorial series in just a few days!

LuX

Post by LuX » August 5th, 2013, 9:37 pm

I think he meant that the certificate is not game related, not that JAVA wouldn't be game related?
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ