Getting a Little Confused

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
PrecentralGyrus

Getting a Little Confused

Post by PrecentralGyrus » April 13th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Hey guys,

So I'm completely new to programming, and 9 episodes into the beginner's video tutorial series, I'm already loving it. But I find as the lessons progress, I'm starting to understand less and less of the material. I've taken notes on everything I can, but I'm just slightly worried my understanding might fall behind...
Does anyone who is in my situation or was in my situation have any advice for me? It might be because I'm going through around 2 videos a day :P

Thanks

Musi

Re: Getting a Little Confused

Post by Musi » April 13th, 2013, 6:33 pm

That's how i felt when i first started learning (not that i've been programming for long). I started learning C# through online tutorials and eventually i was understanding less and less. I got stuck a few times at first but i just looked for different tutorials, its good to use multiple sources to get a different perspective on things.

2 videos a day is pretty good going lol. Chili's tutorials are great but if you're just starting out i would recommend doing pure C or C++ tutorials along side Chili's. It'll be a bit boring but once you get the language down you'll understand things a lot better.

Is there anything in particular that you want help understanding?
Musi

There are 10 types of people that understand binary.
Those that do, and those that don't.

PrecentralGyrus

Post by PrecentralGyrus » April 14th, 2013, 12:10 am

For the most part, I've been sticking only to Chilli's tutorials, and I never really considered getting another explanation. That certainly would help...Often the answer to the question is right next to the question itself (the answer being YouTube...) I'll start looking for good tutorials to accompany Chili, do you have any suggestions in particular?

Mostly my confusion has been in the fact, that Chili will explain some vitally important thing (such as a recent trouble spot for me, hitboxes), and I might understand it, but then I think...wait how will I remember how to do this correctly in the future?

And really I still don't understand hitboxes lol. That part of lesson 9 I really didn't understand

Musi

Post by Musi » April 14th, 2013, 10:53 am

I found these c++ tutorials on Youtube: Link. I haven't watched them myself but they seem pretty good and have high likes.

Pretty much all the tutorials i did were C#/XNA before Chili's. Whether they would help you or only confuse you even more I'm not sure. Some specific tutorials i used were here, here and here. To be honest i was confused most of the time until chili's tutorials made everything so clear, like what actually happens in memory, how pointers work etc.
Musi

There are 10 types of people that understand binary.
Those that do, and those that don't.

PrecentralGyrus

Post by PrecentralGyrus » April 16th, 2013, 1:45 am

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out :)

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » April 16th, 2013, 3:49 pm

I have tried doing tutorials that were all text based and I found myself not being disciplined enough to type everything out, I would copy paste and move on. Chili's tuts being video form made me type along and since he makes mistakes on purpose to show how to use the "IDE" debugger and how/what to look for, it has helped me understand a lot. Also, I still do this, I program some code and between cplusplus.com and rewatching chili's tuts I can make it through c++ pretty well.

When I first started the video tutorials I would watch one through the rewatch and follow along. I did the homework at the end to try to understand what was going on and not just to complete the homework.

As much as I love the tuts that are up, this covers C and C++, now I wish there were tuts put in the exact same format for the different API's.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

PrecentralGyrus

Post by PrecentralGyrus » April 16th, 2013, 4:08 pm

Yeah, what I'm in the process of doing now is rewatching every episode I rushed through, to get a better understanding of what I missed. What you did is a really good idea, I'll start watching the episode in full first then following along later when I catch up to where I was before I started rewatching episodes.